Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
This is the second time in 3 years that this has happened. And thank God my husband didn't have to go to the hospital this time! But this time he couldn't catch his breath!

He got up this AM and took his medication. He started gagging and choking and drooling non-stop! This went on for at least a half hour! I felt really bad for him. I'm talking thick, huge amounts that he couldn't swallow or spit. Finally it subsided somewhat. (he refuses to use the suction machine)

Well, he blamed this episode on the Albuterol pill he took in error. He hasn't taken that medication in quite a while and was in a hurry and picked up the wrong bottle. Has anyone ever had a reaction like this to medication or could it have been the water he drank went down the wrong way and caused a "drool" reaction? Or could it have just been his day to be ALS lucky? :( Course now he says I tried to kill him by switching his medication! :twisted: LOL

I've never heard of Albuterol causing that kind of reaction. It sounds like maybe the water went down the wrong pipe and caused his choking, gagging. My husband did the same thing tonight. His water went down the wrong pipe and he was coughing up a storm. Whatever it was that caused your hubby's attack, I'm glad he's okay now.

Hi CJ,
I think many of the broncho dilators like Albuterol can cause excessive drooling as a side effect. I am a retired nurse, but it does ring a bell as a side effect. I'm glad he's okay.
Laurel

Thanks y'all.

He's OK and riding with his best friend on a road trip. His friend is trying to kill him now with his driving, not me! HA! At least he has a sense of humor!

Oh - he's trying out the laminated word/phrase cards I made for him. They are on a long string around his neck. He couldn't wait to use them with his friend. He has a "special" phrase just for him!

Keep up the fight!

Laminated cards ... That sounds like a good idea.

Has anyone made a recording on a portable device so that they can order at take-out places? Wendy, McD's, Tim Hortons ?

Hey Glen!

My husband tried to record his voice for voice banking, but never could get it done, as his voice was too far gone.

That may be a good idea to record your order. I can just see the looks on their faces when it's a female's voice recorded and you pull up with your handsome mug to pay! Or would it be like a Charlie Brown special? WAAWAWA WAWA because going from the recording device to the order kiosk would be distorted?

Interesting idea! Give it a try! They never get the order right anyway!

Glen, I made sure I recorded "water, no ice, " "diet coke, no ice," "no onion" and, to avoid potential phonetic snafus.... cabernet, pinot noir, & quesadilla. (I'm thinking the wine choices probably won't fly at a drive through though LOL)

Glad he is alright! Must have been scarey

Glen, I made sure I recorded "water, no ice, " "diet coke, no ice," "no onion" and, to avoid potential phonetic snafus.... cabernet, pinot noir, & quesadilla. (I'm thinking the wine choices probably won't fly at a drive through though LOL)

My left hand is getting very lazy. I already makes sure that I get a tray if more than one item, and makes sure they place drinks in my palm so I do not drop them.

Rose , what do you play it back on ? I'm looking for something digital so I can push and have it speak in sufficient volume.

Glen

Sorry CJ, this is not a hijack, just a little side trip :)

Glen, so far just my computer. I think that the Palmtop will accept it though, I just don't have it yet. (I am getting a loaner through ALSA). I know what you mean about the hands! To think I worked the business first aisle of the planes for so many years, I practically had a silver tray permanently attached to my arm! And, I only spilled on a passenger once~ and it was water! ... (well, if you count a little trickle of half and half dripped down behind some poor guy's ear, then make that twice! ) I can't imagine carrying one of those heavy metal trays filled with drinks now.

I haven't programmed my palmtop for the drive through restaurant but I have for my regular trips to the local dump. Because it is one of those new high-tech "Sanitary Landfills" there is a scale that you drive onto so they can keep track of how much is coming in and a speaker so they can ask you what you have (as different stuff goes to different places). We have a large lawn on our acreage so rather than bag the clippings and overwhelm the local dumpster (and be more environmentally friendly) I put all of the grass clippings into garbage cans and take it to the compost heap at the dump. So when I went to the dump before I mumbled at the woman long enough that she finally just said go ahead as I'm sure she didn't understand a word that I said. As they always ask the same questions: Town or County? Business or Personal? and What do you have? I programmed "Ryan" to say Town, Personal, and Compost. It works great and she can understand me. The drive through at the restaurant would be a breeze to program, now if I could just eat it.....:evil:

Hi,

I take care of a lady who has ALS. I've been there 2 months now and came here to see just how far she has progessed. She is bed/chair ridden.and speaks with a computer. She attempts to speak and I'm catching on to some of them, but OVER and COVER sound the same...she can hold her own weight for about 5 minutes, but another caregiver didn't have her feet planted when they stood her up so she has a sprained ankle and isn't trying to stand. It's been 3 weeks, I hope she won't lose the ability to stand. she can lift her leg from the knee down when dangling her legs off of chair. She has not much more movement than that. She is working on strengthening exercises to try to keep herself from getting too rigid. She lives alone and the state gives her 17 hours of care a day split between 3 shifts. I am nite shift 10pm-5:30am. My biggest fear is her choaking. She can eat if it's ground small enough and has enough liquid and takes pills with Ensure shake and yogurt and fruit in it. We are 7or 8 miles from town and It scares me tothink of what would happen if she choked. I fell into this job, but intend to keep taking care of the ill. I'm going to get my CNA certificate in September which includes CPR certifcation, but what do I do if it happens before then?

Suzy Q

Suzy Q,

Make sure she tucks her chin while swallowing. This helps food and drink go down without choking. If you don't know the Heimlich google this:

"The proper way to execute the Heimlich maneuver youtube"

The video will show you how to perform the Heimlich. It's a very good demonstration with very good advice.

I'm curious to know what the lady you care for does about the 7 hours she has no one there to look after her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back