Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
NE
State
Rotterdam
City
Rotterdam
Hello, I am Rachel, 16 years old, and I am making a project work about ALS, because I've met someone with ALS once, and it made a huge impact on me.
And I want to ask you a few questions, it's just 4 questions, so please respond,

-How do you cope with your disease?

-Do people have an other perspective of you, since you have ALS

-How is the ambulatory with your family since ALS was diagnosed? What are your aims /what are the targets you want to achieve despite your illness?

-What is the grip in your life that keeps you going on with your life?

Yours sincerely,
Rachel

Hi Rachel. Welcome to the forum.

I took the liberty and moved your post, creating a new thread in hopes it will be more visible for people to respond to.

You can gain a lot of insight about my life with ALS if you read my blogs. Click on my name and select Blog.

It might be a place to start. Let me know if you can't get there.

1. Live for the moment.
2. Some people don't want to deal with the drama, or don't need any added sadness.
3. I just want to feel as normal as possible
4. Loved ones

Rachel, I have a type of ALS called Bulbar Onset that involves my swallowing and speaking so for me and my family coping with the disease is all about communication and food. I cannot speak clearly enough for anyone to understand me so I have a bunch of electronic devices that speak for me and sometimes I just use pen and paper. I have a feeding tube which I use for most of my nutrition and hydration and I can still eat some things, mostly things like pudding, yogurt and apple sauce.

People who know me, know me better now because I have to take time to communicate. Because I can't really use the phone very well most of my interactions are either by email or face to face so I am finding that I am closer to everyone that matters to me. And they have to take time to talk to me too so everything is slowed down.

I have no real arm or leg issues yet (starting but not bad yet) so I am still able to go everywhere with my family and friends as long as no one wants to race. There was a song from the 70s by a Canadian band called Trooper called "We're Here For A Good Time (Not A Long Time)" and I've changed it to be "I'm Here for A Good Time AND A Long Time". That's my goal.

My grip on life is to be as useful as I can be for as long as I can. I have much yet to teach and much yet to learn.

Hope this answers your questions.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back