Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Carrboro
some nights i can make it up the stairs, others not. i'd like to not break my neck. anything (e.g. mountain climbing gear) i could use to prevent, or limit, falling?

(arms worse than legs)

Don't go up the stairs alone. Have someone stand behind you to help

Being a low-tech person, I'd probably sit and go up the stairs backwards on my butt. Do you have non-slip treads?

I'd sleep downstairs. Of course I'm a scaredycat. Stairs were the first to go for me. Couldn't stand on my toes - first surprise at dr visit.

A stair lift can be a temporary fix. We got one from ALSA loan closet & another was donated to us by the wife of a PALS that passed last year. My hubby can still use them, but as I said they are a temporary solution.

I found that having hand-rails on both sides helped a lot .
Its a cheap solution , but its temporary - my legs are getting bad.

start to plan ahead, things take longer than you think to arrange. We were advised to have a thru floor lift, and against all advice went with a stair lift but can live with that. I have had 6 months of using my bedroom upstairs which I would have been denied without it and we have lots of help for the future to continue to use it, plus we can make a lounge upstairs to reduce the number of trips downstairs. Plan for YOUR needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back