Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
My husband has started using this patch behind his ear to help dry up secretions. This is the second day we've tried to use it, but he's lost the patches - two yesterday and one so far today. His skin is clean when we apply.

Any suggestions? I'll be researching this, but thought if anyone already had a solution...

Can I put a band aid over it or will that concentrate the delivery?

The druggist should know but my MIL tapes over her Nitro patches when the weather is warm because they loosen with sweating.

AL.

Hey CJ,
How are the patches working? My Dad is having trouble with thick secretions in the back of his throat that sometimes cause him to choke, gag or vomit. He recently went way up on his Mucinex (he actually uses a generic) and this has helped some but the problem still persist. I am wondering if something like the patch your husband is using would prevent the excess and the thick build up or make the secretions drier and harder to move.

He is meeting with a pulm therapist on Monday for a trial with the cough machine. He has a suction machine but the goop is too far down to reach without going through the nose which he understandably would prefer to avoid.

Any thoughts?
Dana

I believe the patches were working somewhat, but not enough to the satisfaction of my husband. I don't remember the name of the drug the clinic suggested as an alternative, but the side effects were difficulty urinating and "we" already have a "wee" bit of a problem with that. I just hate to see him suffering more than need be.

I only know that it helped with excessive saliva (drooling) and he did not choke as much. I cannot say whether it would make things drier and harder to move. Sorry!

My husband absolutely hates to take any form of drug! They seem to affect him more profoundly with side effects. So, he tries to avoid taking too many. But, we will be going to clinic later this month to discuss this issue of excess secretions and a viable solution.

Good luck with your Dad!

I just tried the patches, I was warned that they may cause halucinations, so being worried, I cut them in half and did use a band aid to stick it on. They did seem to slip a bit but I put it down to only using half and the extreme heat. It improved the saliva production somewhat, but I alternate with extreme dry mouth as well. I did feel my head spinning,, then extreme nausea as well..so I have gone back to using nothing, will talk to my doctor about an alternative.

I have posted this before , but I am using 1% Atropine drops. 3 drops works the best for me . The perscription say up to 4 drops , 4 times a day. I usually use it twice a day. My pulmo doc put me on them.

Basically , I use it when needed.

And YES, they are eye drops. They work for me.

Glen

Thanks guys. My Dad's pulmo says there really is not any medicine to "solve" this problem. He did put Dad on a nebulizer combo called Duoneb. Dad says it helps some and uses it 4 x per day.

My concern about the Pulmo doc is that he was not familiar with the cough machine (or In-Exsufflator.) The pulm therapist where I work says they can be very helpful for spinal cord patients - primarily tetraplegics. We have a limited number of ALS patients at our facility but she has found it can be helpful for some. She said to use it properly, it requires some getting use to. When I asked the pulmo about the cough machine, he says he remembers when they came on the market and were not helpful and thought to be extinct. So the pulmo therapist where I work is doing an eval with trial of cough assist for Dad to demonstrate effectiveness (or not) and the Pulmo agreed to write orders for anything she recommended helpful. The aggressive therapists she is - she is also putting research info together for him so that even if it does not help Dad he would consider using for other patients. (I love the people I work with.) If the doc is not familiar with the use of this machine (and several people on the forum are using it) what else does he not know that can be helpful?

The pulm therapist will also show Mom a demonstration of an assisted cough so that if he gets into a situation where he can't recover his breath on his own, she can at least do something besides stare at him.

Glen were using the eye drops (Atropine) and found it helps secretions as a bonus or using it primarily to manage secretions? Dad was using Lomotil in the past for anti diarrhea and it has atropine in it I think. He no longer takes it but is taking an OTC anti-diarrhea med so I will look at the label. With the eye drops are your eyes dilated for a short time?

Thanks to all for the responses about the patch. Dad has other medical issues besides ALS and I don't want to try anything that may cause him to fall. He still walks around in the house - occasionally with a cane for balance.

I love having a forum like this because it is fascinating to see what docs, etc. are using outside of my own community. Definitely the best way to think outside the box. This place is great!

Dana

Dana,
they were purposely prescribed to slow down the secretions.

Glen

Thanks! They are on my list to ask about.

I use the scop patches, and have not had any psychological problems that I'm aware of (with me, it's hard to tell :lol:), but many people (nurses) are leery of them. I've gone from two patches to half a patch, to a new patch and leaving the old one on three more days as a little boost. I only change it when I feel I need to. I can tell when it's time.

My "new normal" is going from extreme dry mouth to that thick saliva in the evening, which I hate. I use the suctioning wand and that helps a little. I'm still not comfy with the cough machine, and I think I really need it. I have lots of gurgling, gravely sensations/noises in my throat and can't get a cough to clear it.

I have posted this before , but I am using 1% Atropine drops. 3 drops works the best for me . The perscription say up to 4 drops , 4 times a day. I usually use it twice a day. My pulmo doc put me on them.

Basically , I use it when needed.

And YES, they are eye drops. They work for me.

Glen
Hi Glen ,
My mother is suffering from excessive watering of eyes. Do you know if these Atropine drops can be of help in her case ?
Take care

Hi Namita,

I would not put anything in her eyes without consulting a doctor.

Imagine putting in some drops, and because of something stupid , like being allergic to one of the ingredients , her vision is affected.

SO , even though they are for the eyes , I would ask a doctor first.

Glen

I used the patches to start with but was changed to Atropine sub-lingual drops and I find they work for me better than the patches xx

CJ....have yall tried robinul? (glycopyrrolate) It helps me a lot.

GJ,
Try to wipe the skin behind your husband ear with alcohol swab. It will de-oil that spot and help the patch to stay on.
I wouldn't use band aid, but you can buy a paper tape at the pharmacy and use it to secure the patch.
Cookie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back