Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
ID
City
Wilder
My husband has been diagnosed with ALS and has lost a lot of weight and is getting very weak. Dr wants to put in a PEG, but has also suggested we get connected with hospice. The hospice rep told me that their nurse said that a PEG can interfere with breathing. Is this true? No one else that has talked to us about a PEG has mentioned that. Also, hospice won't step in until after he has had the PEG inserted. I need help now! Don't know how long before the PEG will be inserted.
Thanks!

Sorry for the ALS diagnosis, we are here to help however we can. I have never heard of a PEG affecting breathing and I don't know how it could. Since he is loosing weight please get him in for a PEG as soon as possible. It is very important to keep his weight.

Donarden ... I have never heard of a PEG affecting breathing in any way. I would check with your husband's neuro; perhaps he/she can straighten out the issue with the hospice nurse.

Hopefully, the PEG will be inserted soon, since your husband has lost so much weight. I'd check with the neuro on that, too, and see if it can be done soon. It will make a big difference in how he feels, and will take a load off your mind, too, when you see his weight stabilize.

I'm so sorry for your husband's diagnosis. I hope your doctor and the hospice people get going asap at making him comfortable.

Thank you for your quick replies. It didn't make sense to me either since the PEG goes into the stomach not your lungs or other parts of your respiratory system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back