Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
NE
City
Lincoln
I went to St Louis this morning, saw Dr Al-Lozi and after that had EMG. Didn't get the Dr's name that did the EMG, but I passed the part where they run shocks through your nerves well, but flunked the other part where they run needles into your muscles and look at the signals. Legs, arms and torso all had fasics(sp) and poly something signals. That Dr said it has all the hallmarks of ALS. Also had about a pint of blood drawn (11 vials), which they're going to test for nearly everything under the sun. Dr Al-Lozi says "Probable ALS" and want to see me in three months unless some of the results of the blood tests necessitate sooner.

So, there's where it stands. I'm getting weaker by the day, and not sure how much longer I can drag myself to work. But, I'm assuming here, I can't even think about disability without a concrete diagnosis, right?

I'm in a sorry frame of mind right now Guess I already knew, from how well my symptoms matched. But still.....

Have a good night all;

Perry

I am sorry to hear you have a "probable" diagnosis. But if you indeed do have an ALS diagnosis it does not have to be the end of the world. You can still have a great life!

I'm sorry about your diagnosis. And yeah, I think even though you have your suspisions having someone say it outloud makes it that much more real !
I was actually wondering the same thing about disability. My husband has not received a FINAL diagnosis , I guess. Well, to be honest I'm kinda confused as to whether he has or not. Just like you he was tested for everything they could think of and final word was that it probably is ALS but I don't know if that makes it a final diagnosis ?!
That's another frustrating thing about ALS - there no ONE test to determine if you have it. Seems like most other diseases there is a test but with ALS is a process of elimination :(
God Bless !

Perry,

I've been to the clinic in St. Louis and can tell you one thing for sure, the doc wouldn't have even uttered "ALS" unless he had serious suspicion. I'm sorry to hear he thinks it may be ALS.

As far as insurance and disability go, you need a definite diagnosis. As soon as you get the lab results from your bloodwork, presuming there is no alternate diagnosed, I'd be asking for a hard diagnosed for disability and insurance purposes if the doctors continue to believe you have ALS.

Best of luck to you!

Zaphoon

BTW, Zaphoon, I saw you mention morse code. Are you a amateur radio operator?

73 de Perry N0MXJ

I was told at Mayo in Jacksonville that probable ALS is a diagnosis for disability as long as other things have been ruled out.

I had an amatuer radio license but let it expire. I went through code school while in the navy as a cryptologist. The fastest I ever tested successfully at was 35 wpm. We used to be called "Ditty Chasers".

bt ar

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back