Diagnosis
12/2007
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
My father has diabetes and he never cared about it until his left went wrong. And he had a surgery and fixed his eye. After several months, he started developing symptoms of ALS. And he was later diagnosed with ALS.

Does diabetes have anything to do with it?

Hi, no - diabetes has absolutely nothing to do with ALS.

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in New York says that the disease shaves an average of seven to 10 years off of a patient's life, but experts said Wednesday that patients like Sotomayor who manage their disease well can expect to live as long -- and work as hard -- as healthy Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just exactly what symptoms are you referring to paula? I do not think Diabetes and Als have anything in common. My son passed from Als about 2 yrs ago, my husband has been a Diabetic since 1978. Diabetes has been kicking his rear here lately. He had his leg amputated on January 23, 2009, and from that time on he has been declining. I have become his 24/7 caregiver. His limbs upper and lower have atrophied as that of an Als patient. He's lost his vision. The only thing that keeps him going is Effexor, Family, and his chihuahuas. I always make sure he takes his meds, because if he don't he becomes very irritable, and very depressed. Again..........Diabetes has nothing to do with Als. May God bless you.

Irma

Just exactly what symptoms are you referring to paula? I do not think Diabetes and Als have anything in common. My son passed from Als about 2 yrs ago, my husband has been a Diabetic since 1978. Diabetes has been kicking his rear here lately. He had his leg amputated on January 23, 2009, and from that time on he has been declining. I have become his 24/7 caregiver. His limbs upper and lower have atrophied as that of an Als patient. He's lost his vision. The only thing that keeps him going is Effexor, Family, and his chihuahuas. I always make sure he takes his meds, because if he don't he becomes very irritable, and very depressed. Again..........Diabetes has nothing to do with Als. May God bless you.

Irma

Sorry to hear that. May God bless you too.

Did your husband atrophy like an ALS patient? But is he an ALS patient himself?

Sorry to hear that. May God bless you too.

Did your husband atrophy like an ALS patient? But is he an ALS patient himself?

No Paula, he is not an Als patient, but his hands are like those of an Als patient.

Irma

ALS has nothing to do with diabetes but strangely enough I have developed type 2. Doc says it has to do with the immobility caused by ALS but it's not caused by the ALS.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back