Diagnosis
12/2007
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Where in your body does ALS strike first? Does it attack your legs first, or you arms?

My fingers started twitching first., with weakness in my left hand.

All of the above. It can start anywhere and progress at different rates for every person.

My left hand, but as Joel said, anywhere it wants unfortunately..

It affected my breathing first. Vital capacity 25%. It's left everything else alone so far, so I guess I'm lucky

That I was aware of? my vocal cords.

My husband first noticed his left arm twitching 4 years ago. Diagnosed March 2009.

For me it was my left leg.

For my mother, the first noticable effect was she developed a dropfoot.

My tongue:sad:

In my case, tongue, but as Joel said, it can start anywhere.

My husband first noticed his left arm twitching 4 years ago. Diagnosed March 2009.

I'm sorry. I'm not doubting it. It's just a scary story. Can ALS really go undiagnosed for so long, could those twitches be a coincidnce?

Paul and Jackie

Paul, Everyone is right. It can start anywhere. Everyone is different. The lady I met at the hospital that has ALS (my brother is there to) she was diagnosed 1-1/2 years ago and hasn't had the first twitch.

Jackie. Your husband had twitches for four years diagnosed 2009. I have had arguments with people that said that just was not possible. But my Neuro. summed that up for me. I don't have to disagree anymore. I know!

People reading this-Just because you twitch does not mean you have ALS . You can get them with MS, Anxiety, CIPD And others. CIPD list muscle contractions. Thats why people don't see it when they search muscle twitching. Stay tuned with your body. Go to the doctor if you are that worried. In my situation. I haven't been enough and now its is telling on me.

Lorie

Mine was slurred speech and drinks spurting out of my mouth when drinking. I did not have twitches for several months, then they came with avengace. Now 18 months later, cant do much for myself at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back