03/2006
Country
uk
State
West Sussex
City
sussex
Hi again,
Well Dad reached another goal last week as i explained on another thread ( he got his book published !), this 'project' had kept him occupied during the last three years since his diagnosed. The smile was amazing, for once the morphine wasn't the cause of his emotion and it showed lol ! Not only that but it seems to be going down a storm, something he never realised would happen.
Anyway on another note, the 'pain' was still an issue and eventually we managed to get a Doc from the hospice to come and visit reg his anxiety and distress at being left to choke a week earlier e.t.c.
This Doc was Ab Fab and talked to him for nearly 45 mins before making his decision. He asked Dad if he wanted to go onto the syringe driver and Dad gave a sigh of releif 'yes ' it was what he had wanted for some time now. The Doc agreed to put him on the S.D with Diamorphine and a drug to reduce his anxiety and make him calmer, so he doesn't panic as much when he blocks up. He then said that if he got too distressed with the mucas and couldn't bring it up then we were to phone him and he would put him in a deep sleep. It was very emotional as we knew what this meant.
Dad was adiment and they went ahead and juiced him up last Tuesday, he slept almost instantly and woke about 3 hours later with an appetite that you wouldn't believe. What a turn around , it was great to see, he was comfortable, reasonably happy ( as you can be in this situation ) and eating/drinking us out of house and home. A changed man. The mucas was also coming up so easily, whether that was down to him drinking or relaxing i don't know but something was working. I only wish they had done this earlier so he hadn't gone through the last weeks traumas.
However, i knew it would be too good to be true and yet again we start a new week with Dad feeling crap, going off food/drink and can't get this stuff up and out.....
He is soooo 'Fed Up' now. He made the right decision staying at home, it's easier for everyone, him, his wife , the two gsd dogs, and me and my wife and our kids. We can relax around him more as there's no time scale for staying and the kids treat it like their second home and don't mind the surprise and long visits that we stay. He's got everyone he loves and knows CONSTANTLY around him, and the simple things mean so much, for instance... the worst thing about hospitals/hospices is going to the loo in peace especially as Forest Gumps mother would say 'you never know what you gonna get'. At least at home you can fart and no-one bats an eyelid. Or is that just us, lol. Our distict nurse keeps telling us we are highly disfunctional as a family in a funny way and impossible to deal with without laughing. What else is a guy supposed to do, I know e're like a bunch of hyenas but thats just our way of coping.... not much to laugh at these days.
But still trying our very best for Dad sake.. :D

Congrats on the publishing of his book!
Hopefully they can continue to keep him pain free and calm it means alot for everyone as you said.
Please ask the nurse what family is not disfunctional. LOL

If that is your family's way of coping, then I don't think that is dysfunctional at all !

Besides, "laughter is good for the soul".

anytime you can laugh it is a blessing, Laugh often, what else are we going to do? If we cant laguh at ourselves and our situation than we are really in trouble, that is how this forum gets everyone through sometimes, we all get each other, in a lot of ways.. thanks for sharing, congrats to your dad on the book...

Thanks for your comment, For those of you in England you will be familiar with the series 'My Family' on the BBC, sorry to everyone else, I don't know if it reached any other countries... anyway we had to physically ban Dad from watching it cause he laughed so much he would stop breathing. If he had been allowed to continue it would have been the rest of us on the drugs to keep us calm ! Lol
I guess laughter will either kill or cue you but it's a hell of a way to go ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back