Diagnosis
12/2007
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
My father is 47 and has ALS. I was really sad when the doctor told me this. And I did some research online and found that ALS might be hereditary. Will I get/inherit this disease? Is the chance high? My father is the only person in my family history who has this disease.

Do people with Familial ALS tend to get sick earlier than those who have Sporadic ALS?

I say, you are thinking too much. Just help your father fight this terrible disease. I don't know what the chances of you getting it are, but don't worry about it. Live your life to fullest. The more you worry that you will get it, harder it will be for you.

Paul,

If he is the first person in the family with ALS it most likely is sporadiac. Most of the stories that I read about familial ALS
is there are alot of people in the family affected not just a couple.

I agree with nishant go live your life and spend quality time with your father.

5 to 10% of ALS cases are familial. With your father having sporadic your chances of getting it are pretty remote.

AL.

I feel since I did inhereit als from my Mother, I should answer this too. My mother's case was bulbar and moved very fast, but I am in my fourth year and still get around o.k. My friend said 20 years ago, what if you get it. My reply was it was out of my hands and I wasn't going to worry about it. One thing I have learned that there is no set patterns for this weird thing. The only problem was when my symtoms started to appear, the doctors were not very supportive, so I just quick looking and decided to just wait, which worked out fine. I didn't spend all that time looking for answers.

My thoughts are with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back