Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
UK
State
England
City
London
I dont know whether it is possible for anyone to find a copy on the internet, of a programme shown on UK BBC tv last night May 18th Panorama With the title Stem Cells and Miracles. It was predominantly about a child who is blind and a lady with MS. The clinics they visited were in China and the Dominican Republic (the owner of the dominican republic clinic also operates from Malibu.) As you might guess, the program basically said that they were money making ventures and there was no substance in their claims. This was the opinion of several top US and UK consultants.

I also went to an mnd association conference over the weekend about stem cell treatment. The presentation was given by the lead researcher and neuro of the mnd assoc who is also in contact with the ALSA. Some facts that came out of his presentation and from a private conversation afterwards were this.
Stem cell is beginning to work, however they found that only an extremely small number of new neurons are grown in the brain...BUT ...the biggest problem, which they have not sorted out yet..is how to make the new growth at the other end, where it meets the muscle...so they think it will need to be a two pronged approach, one in the brain, the other at the muscle. When pushed about going to a clinic I mentioned...he said...none of these clinics publish records for scrutiny by other neuros, which is not good..BUT if anyone wants to go, there are a few things they should do before they go...first check that the stem cells are to be injected into the spine...any intravenous infusion is totally a waste of time..then go to your neuro, explain that you want to go and get a proper assessment of your condition over a couple of months and weeks before you go, and again when you return, to ensure a proper evaluation of how things went.

I attended the same conference (met Jeniffer) and second all that she writes above. Panorama programme shown in the UK last night should be available via BBC iPlayer, if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back