Learn about ALS
Country
Cro
State
Cro
City
Zagreb
Hi. I'm a 21 year old college student.
I came here in hope of some information about the sypmtoms I have and that trouble me, hoping to you'll help me.

Anyways, for the last 4 months I've had fasciculations all over my body, but mostly in my ankle of the right foot. But honesty I don't think there's a muscle in my body that didn't twitch atleast once.

It first started in my biceps 4 monts ago, and I haven't felt it since. I'm a diabetic also. The thing that concerns me most is I think I have a weird feeling in my third toe on my right foot. When I move that one and the same one the other foot, it seems this one is harder to move, slower, and won't move as much. I've went and done a MRI scan which came back normal. I did NCV test also and it showed slower sensory response and normal motor. That was a month ago. It was contributed to my diabetes. But as I'm very well controlled diabetic I don't know what to make of it. I'm feeling alot of anxiety. If anyone could provide some feedback I'd be very grateful. Also I forgot to mention that most of the times I can cause minor fascis in my right ankle if I flex it hard. Plz help.

I'd like to mention that I first felt non specific pains in my legs(gone), fascis in my bicep and tingles in my legs. The problem is that as a diabetic I have increased chance for MS so I don't know if my tingles are psychosomatic since I've read a bit on MS and saw the as the list of symptoms. So I don't know if anxiety caused them(the reason for doing MRI was to check for MS) . I feel them very rarely now. So mostly fascis now in my legs, predominately in my right leg ankle, but also I have them all over my body at times. Buttocks, abdomen, neck you name it. Fascis are a daily occurence with me.

Hi James, sorry for your concerns. Since you are here I am assuming your worried you have ALS. I can tell you that twitching and fasiculations do not point to ALS. It might not be anything. I urge you to see a good neurologist and get tested. Anxiety can cause all the problems you are experiencing. Good Luck and try to relax.

My understanding is that sensory response is not affected by als. ALS is classic for motor response being affected only.

Thank you for your responses. I plan on going to my neurologists soon again. I know that sensory part isn't affected mostly but yet it can be. Anyqay that EMG was before I noticed anything with my toe or leg. The most troubling part is am I causing some of these symptoms because I've read about them and got scared. I hate having these fasciculations for 4 months now and not knowing why or will they go away.

Could you perhaps, from your experience from researching about ALS comment abit on my previous posts, guess I'm just looking for some comfort.

ALS does not present in such a global manner in its inital stages and so quickly, as you describe. I'm not sure when you got your EMG but it is a very sensitive test and will reveal sub-clinical symptoms, well before you are aware of them. Please do your best to relax and discontinue your "research" because it will only make things worse. It appears you realize that, so please do something about your anxiety issues because that is your problem at the moment. Take care.

It seems I didn't do the EMG tests, but the EMNG one. They didn't use needles just electricity. So I should make an appointment to do an EMG test? Thanks Wright.

I did EMNG not EMG it seems. I'm going to schedule an appointment with my neurologist tommorow. I can trigger a couple of quick twitches in my ankle if I flex it backwards for a couple of seconds. Are fasciculations that you can provoke consistent with ALS?

Can Fasciculations result from overexertion & how to exclude ALS?

From Neuro. EMG Article:

Can Fasciculations result from overexertion & how to exclude ALS?

I am a 49 year old, that works out all of the time and for the last 5 months have had fasciculations especially in my calfs. I had a normal Nerve Conduction and now they want to do an EMG. The only physical change is that I gained about 15 lbs after beginning to lift weights in February.
I never noticed the Fasics until my Flight Surgeon looked for them at my last flight physical.

My question is do you find that over exertion causes fasciculations, and is there something else I can try before the test? I'm also finding that I get cramps in my calfs and some soreness, (probably from to much exercise). According to my trainer my strength has increased substantially.

These are questions that are hard to ask and I am quite tentative about a " lose - lose " diagnosis. If its BFS there is nothing that can be done about it, and if it isn't there isn’t.

Any Suggestions?

Answer: Too much exertion, or stopping exertion after having exercised for a long period, can cause fasciculations. Usually calf fasciculations and cramps tend to be benign. An EMG however would be a very good idea because it may explore whether or not you have fasciculations (that you are not aware of) in other muscles.
In the work-up for ALS there are many other signs and symptoms than fasciculations that lead to a diagnosis; so a good EMG and and a good neurological work-up are of the utmost importance before making a diagnosis.

I'm not really that active, I can't contribute it to excercise. It's just that I can usually elicit fascis in my right ankle by flexing it. Sorry to bother you all, when there's some much people that have been diagnosed and have more important issues. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back