Diagnosis
11/2005
Country
US
State
Louisiana
City
Winnsboro
When going to another Dr. in July of 2008 for a 2nd opinion, he told me after doing the physical examination that he didn't think I had ALS. He based his opinion on the fact that there was no stiffness or spasticity present in my body. I was diagnosed with "Probable" ALS in Nov. 2005, 2 yrs after first experiencing symptoms. Are these 2 things present with people in here that have ALS? Would love some feedback on this please.

Stiffness and spastic muscles are a UMN symptom.. Some people have it worse, Some peolpe experience more than others.. Seem UMN dominant people have it more.

I didnt have any stiffness at all when I was DX'd . Dont have much now either. Just some pesky cramps.

Thanks for the comments. Although I have muscle loss and atrophy, my hands and fingers are still limber. I also have no problems moving my arms around and no soreness in my shoulder area that ALS patients often deal with. My biggest problem is the weakness in my body. May God's blessings be on each of you.

Jake,

I would start leaning towards the second doctor's opinion of it not being ALS. He had to have had a reason for saying that. I would press on for a more definitive DX. Anything probable can go either way (probably is - probably is not).

I'd be looking for more conclusive evidence.

It can always be something else until it can't be anything else!

Zaphoon

Zaphoon,

That's exactly what my thoughts were also. I have made the comment that he wouldn't be much of a Dr. if he told me he didn't think I had ALS without having good reasons to say that. Thanks so much for your input. May God bless you my friend.

Jake

I have enough stiffness and spasticity for everybody.

Jake, my husband has PLS and his hips and legs are very stiff and he has lots of spacticity which is controlled by Baclofen. His left leg is worse. He is not able to bend his left leg without assistance from his own arms or someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back