CALS
Country
US
State
az
City
smalltown
Hey y'all.

Please help me help my friend with recently diagnosed ALS... We are in a small rural town and she is the only one. We barely have a neurologist.

We have hooked up with a foundation and supposedly they will help us get her a chair and communication device (has trach and PEG, in regular WC).

My questions:

1. How does this person safely drive 100 miles through the deserted desert in a car to get to the city where there is an ALS clinic? Her spouse is despondent and doesn't want her to have to travel like that: they don't have a van, just a small car, and she has a portable vent but it's really scary for them; I can see that. I tell them it's really important to get to a multidisciplinary ALS clinic to prolong her survival and help manage symptoms, yada yada, but they are getting worn out. (Can someone tell me if ALS clinic is super important? I am thinking it is...)

2. Spouse thinks a power chair will be impossible to use in their mobile home with carpet. He thinks it won't fit through the door. What should I tell him?

3. She is afraid to get a communication device evaluation (which takes an act of congress in a small isolated town); isn't this the best thing to do? She writes on a pad to communicate but shouldn't we try to get it now before she loses hand function?

4. They have gone broke in the last 4 months with this disease. They were hard working retired middle class people with private insurance which paid 80% of everything; the 20% depleted their retirement funds. They do have a lovely mobile home on land. Do they have to lose this, too?
The patient apparently can't get any social security or disability (OR EVEN MEDICARE?) because she does not have enough credits or something in her ss bank. This is such a devastating disease. Any suggestions? It;s not like they can just go out and by a van with a lift for the drive. And this 2 horse town has nothing to offer in terms of public transportation for those with disabilities.

I just feel like if they were wealthy this would be alot easier. Then he could hire someone for respite. Right now he is the 24/7 caregiver and I can see him burning out. Because I am a professional healthcare worker I am not alllowed to "volunteer at a residence alone" and good luck trying to find a partner to go with me four 4 hours at a time.

There isn't a skilled nursing facility that will take vents in 100 miles.

5. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME HELP THEM? She is sick (just out of ICU) and he is worn out and pissed off. Where do we go from here?

I am so sorry for the unfortunate situation they are in. I wish I could help somehow! Please be patient and someone will respond with some useful suggestions. My prayers are with them and you!

Thank you. I am hoping their is some ALS Fairy Godmother who will turn their little old car into a reliable van with a lift and that the chair can go over carpet and be free.

What do people with ALS do when they are out of money?

Are people who live in mobile homes not allowed to get power chairs and maintain some mobility? It's not like it's a tiny 5th wheel. It's the size of a small 3 bedroom house. Surely these chairs will fit! Please tell tell me this is not the way this is gonna go down.

I think it would be important to get to an ALS clinic and be in contact with the ALS Association in your area, they might be able to help with a lot of the issues you mentioned. I also believe that a small, mid wheel, powerchair would work in their home.

I'm sorry about their terrible situation. I'm sorry I'm of no help. I don't know how people survive. I just applied for SS disability, but if everything goes smoothly, it'll be November before I get a check. My savings account will be empty before then. I will rely on friends and family so I hopefully won't have to dip into the money I've put in trust for my severly Autistic, 20 year old son, who lives with us (that's getting crazy).

I will pray you can help them find an advocate for them.

I'll help

I can help you.

Send me an email at: [email protected]

Or call me at Office: 949-488-9894 or Cell: 949-233-3045.

Alot of people frequenting this and other ALS boards know who I am. Just ask.

Stu
ALSGuardianAngels.com

Is there something that the ALS Angels can do at least about the van? I know what it's like to be the only PALS in a town a long distance from the clinic. At least I am still mobile and there is hadicap transportation here. Good luck, I do hope that someone here can help you.

Thanks Stu, obviously I missed your post (maybe it was waiting for moderator approval?). Anyway, thanks again for helping.

Barry

Thnak you Stu, we are all appreciative for your help for PALS.

The Healthcare system is as horrible as the disease.

Mango-If you have a definite DX of ALS, You shouldn't have to wait 6 months. Please re-visit that, please.

Lorie

you truly are an angel Stu.

Ssdi

Lorie

SSDI is a 6 month wait. My wife has short term disability insurance at work for a 6 month period until SSDI kicks in.

Stu our Guardian angel of ALS

Wow wow wow! As I was frantically reading the post and picking my own brain (which frankly at this point is fried) to try and help this friend help her friends......low and behold, an angel appears and it is Stu!

God is smiling again on you dear friend.

Thanks from all of us!

Patty :razz:

Stu, you truly ARE an angel :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back