Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
I have googled to no avail, can come up with nothing except the benefits of massage for PALS as well as the population at large.

I went for a pedicure yesterday. I went to a place that has the massage chairs. I've not sat in one of those for probably close to two years. (this next part is for the guys here, who probably don't go for pedicures) ....The back of the chair has a massage mechanism that is a roller which goes up and down your spine, and also a kneading action.

It hurt, it hurt while it was doing it. There I was, trying to feel pampered (and I was) but it hurt my back. Then today, the the length of my spine from mid shoulder to just above my waist hurts. Not a movement hurt, but to touch it it hurts.

I know this is not the expected outcome of one of these chair massages, I've had them before and they felt great! In fact, I remember the first time I sat in one of the chairs in this same salon, I remarked it was the most amazingly great contraption! I wanted to go back there not so much for the pedi, but for the chair massage.

The pain is where those rollers went up and down my spine, its not in my shoulder muscles, or other muscle, I just am bruised. But, I know I shouldn't be.

And. of course with any new development, I hope it is something that will change my ALS verdict, you know, the doctor saying how now that I have back pain from a massage its actually thus and such, and they were wrong after all. :neutral: I even googled the pressure points for fibromyalgia (just in case) nope, no luck.

Rose ... ouch, what a revoltin' development. It sounds like maybe the chair mechanism was set too high? If it hurt while it was massaging you, but at other times in the past it's felt great, I'd guess that it was the chair's fault, not something happening with your back. Perhaps the chair's roller had more padding before.

If the pain continues, best to check it out .... but hopefully, your spine's just bruised and the pain will go away. (Just what we all need, right ?!? Attacks from mechanical furniture!)

Beth,

Thanks, I'm just always hoping for some sign, something new that does not go along with my diagnosis, maybe that's why I didn't consider the chair... so now I'll have to go back and sit in a different one. That's as good a reason as any to get another pedi ~ just checking out the chairs :cool:

... in the past I've considered how bad it could be if a tanning bed malfunctioned, you know the timer being stuck and getting cooked.... or the lid not opening and the lights not turning off, hence being stuck and getting cooked. I guess if I have to choose between being nuked or being rollered, I'd chose an attack by a chair.

My wife's doing my nails now. I can still do it if I get creative with ways to make a nail clipper close, but it's going to be her job now.

Oh, after years of plucking, I got my first nose and ear hair trimmer today. I haven't tried it yet.

I found that physical therapy (not massage) is best for me. I attend physical therapy for one hour once a week during which the therapist stretches my muscles and works all of my joints in ways which I can no longer move. Prior to beginning physical therapy could not lay with my legs outstretched due to the pain in my knees and hips and the cramps which would develop. Since beginning physical therapy. I can go at least a week between sessions, which allows me to sleep somewhat better and is helping me to maintain some mobility in my arms and legs. Again, this is not massage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back