Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
dimmitt
Hello to all!...I just signed up for this discussion group and am actually new to all of this...My name is Ronda and my mom was recently diagnosed with ALS . She now has a Trach and a feeding tube and is in a rehab facility...she has been doing well so far..I realize that this disease affects different people in different ways..I would just like some feedback from people that have had this disease or were otherwise touched by it...I do realize this is a terminal disease but, I guess I need some kind of hope to cling to....Thank You and God Bless!

Welcome Ronda. Sorry about your mom.

A good way to educate yourself about ALS quickly is to browse through current and old forum threads. If you have a question about something specific, use the Search feature and you will be directed to threads on that topic.

Rhonda,

Welcome to the forum, sorry about your mom. How old is your mom ? You said your mom was recently diagnoseded and has a trach and feeding tube, Is it effecting her anywhere else. As Liz said use the search button for specific questions. Some one should come on soon and be able to help you better. I do not have a diagnosed, but if you tell us alittle bit more about whats going on with your mom someone might be able to answer your questions.

How long has it been since your mom started having trouble? You mentioned she has a trach and feeding tube. This would lead me to believe your mom has been suffering with this disease for a while. Could you fill us in with more detail? How old is your mom? Does she still have the use of her arms and legs? Can she speak? What sort of attitude does she have towards her illness?

You can get quite an education on the disease but at the end of all of your studies, what you will find is that it does not follow much of a pattern. There is no telling how fast or slow the progression will be but a good diet and lowering stress levels will go a long way in helping.

You should check into the local ALSA and MDA chapters in your area. They can be a very big help and tremendous resource.

Zaphoon

Hi Ronda,

My Dad was diagnosed with ALS in Feb of this year. It has been a busy couple of months in getting MD appts, therapy appts, new medications, feeding tube, Bipap machine, wheelchair, leg brace, etc so we have had to learn quickly. Much of the information on the internet is gloom and doom but I have found this forum extremely positive and helpful. I used the search function for questions and found many answers through questions that were already asked. I hope you find it helpful too. Welcome to the forum.

How is your Mom doing in rehab and what are her plans when she is discharged?

Please feel free to ask me any question, I am sure we can learn from each other.
Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back