Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
I had some skin biopsies done the day after my emg. (I had the derma appt scheduled and I didnt want to cancel it as my endocrinologist sent me to her friend)...

Well I didnt think anything of it and I received a call on Friday that my back mole came back as pre cancerous. (Clark Nevus/atypical melanocytic nevi) and I have to go back for more biopsies... Yahh... More pain!

so anyway...I try to google it and find out that this is not uncommon with ALS. Does anyone have melanomas and live in the Chicago area? In the event I am now dealing with skin cancer and ALS.... I am looking for an oncologist in the area that has seen this before.

Question for doctors.. I told them I wanted to wait a month... They seemed ok with it.. I checked the area and I also noticed a big orange mole and red mole near the biopsy site. My biopsy was Friday AM a week ago and the wound will not heal too. Do I need to bring this information to my Univ of Chicago visit this week and in your professional, non binding opinion.... Is this ok to wait 4 weeks?

I have never heard of cancer being linked to ALS. Don't wait!if it is cancer then every second is important.u don't know how fast it will spread.start therapy asap so u can beat it!if it is pre cancerous then it's fine..just get it removed

Jaded -- there was a story over on the Patients Like Me forum of a man with ALS and a skin cancer. I think he was going for an op to have a mole removed. It could be purely coincidental, I don't think ALS and cancer are linked in any studies, although i don't know for sure.

My wife was diagnosed with ALS in Sept 07. IN early 08 she had a melanoma removed from her cheek. I had seen the article on Riluzole and melanoma link. I brought it up to the Oncologist and he knew nothing on it.

We had the melanoma removed but declined the further surgical treatment since it was so invasive vs. projected benefits when tied to the ALS diagnosed. The tissue edges of the tissue removed was clear of cancer which helped in our decision making.

My wife has been on Riluzole from the original diagnosed in 07 and we are hoping it helps slow or control the melanoma.

Paul W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back