Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ALABAMA
City
US
Does emotions change affect speech clarity? A friend of mine affected with als when his Psychology is good I noticed his speech is clear when he is mad or sad it gets bad I mean I can hardly get him. When he is ok feeling good I noticed he is laughing all the time, he said its out of my control, is this has any thing to do with als

Yes, it is called Emotional Lability and is a symptom of ALS. A lot of us suffer from this and it cannot be controlled. There is medication that some people take that does help, but it can have some nasty side effects so not everyone can take it.

thanks alot for your Reply joelc

I take Zenvia for my emotional lability. It helps and I have no side effects.

There have been several threads on this topic recently. You might want to search the forums for these.

thanks alot for your Reply liz

john.rt-

Joel and Liz hit the nail on the head! Emotional Lability!

When my husband gets angry, he can't get the words out, as his diaphragm starts to hurt and he has a hard time breathing.

Great that you are looking for answers for your friend.

My husband takes citalopram (generic for Celexa). It seems to help somewhat.

Most definately......my speech is best when I am really relaxed.

Wow sure sounds like a case of Emotional Liablility.. I have the same thing with my speech.. If I am uptight or stressed, the voice and jaw, wow they are a mess.

Yep ... when you are calm and not tired , talking is easy.

I do have the lability problem , but its mostly laughing or giggling ... it allows me to get away with laughing at things that you might think would be a rude to laugh at.

*snicker* everything has a purpose in life . You it to your best means ;)

thanks alot for all members who Replyied to my post ,now i know and A pologizes my friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back