Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
UK
State
Somerset
City
Yeovil
Does anyone have any tips for quenching thirst?

My husband who has Bulbar Palsy and finds it difficult to drink other than by taking little sips reckons its now impossible to quench his thirst.

He remembers a time when he could drink half a pint in one go and feel that his thirst was quenched.

Any tips for with what or how he can satisfy his thirst.

I know how your husband feels, I have bulbar ALS and can't drink more that a small sip. I now use my PEG tube for drinking water and can quench my thirst that way. I will try to drink a little or get a mouthful and then spit it out to wet my mouth and throat. It's not the same as "drinking" I know but it's really the only thing that I know of that works.

I also have a PEG, and it is really great to be able to slug down a bottle of water, or can of Coke again. I had not been able to take liquids except in tiny sips for more than a year.

They have things to thicken liquids so PALS can get them down, but that doesn't really give the sensation of quenching thirst.

The PEG sounds like a big deal, but it's really not. I can feel the cool liquid inside as soon as it goes in the tube, and what had become a huge hassle ... eating and drinking ... is just an easy, "normal" process again. I still sip and eat by mouth for enjoyment.

Using toothettes also help to moisten the mouth, tounge and palate. Just dip in water and they can provide some refreshment.

My mom used simply thick, which allowed her to drink more than sips. She also had a special cup that helped her to drink with her chin down. The simply thick was the only thing that didn't alter the taste. It wasn't necessarily thirst quenching but did allow her to drink more. Water was gross with it, but she enjoyed root beer, and sometimes root beer floats, that was the most quenching for her. I also used to squirt water in her mouth and then suction her, it helped with the dry feeling.

Many thanks for your replies.

Ice lollies seem to be helping the situation at the moment and speech therapist sorting out some thickening powder as she said sometimes slightly thicker liquids are easier to manage.

Barium swallow test on Friday and EMG next week so hopeful for some answers soon.

I had the PEG fitted a week ago, long story...and due to chest infections up to the peg insertion I have not been allowed anything by mouth at all for nearly 10 days now...Many years ago you could buy a huge cotton bud thing, which was impregnated with lemon juice and was lovely. I have been told that they are now withdrawn, think they were not good for the teeth, but I will be asking SLP next week to see if they still do them in some other flavours.

Hi Jennifer, good to hear from you and I'm sorry to hear about your chest infection problems. I hope that you are doing ok with your new peg tube. The first couple of weeks after I got mine were the hardest what with getting used to it and how to use it but now it is just another part of the routine and it sure makes eating and drinking easier.

A while ago Rachel asked about how to quench thirst when you can't drink anymore. I didn't have any suggestions then other than to get a peg tube and while I still think that a peg is a good way to get hydrated I have discovered a way that I can drink water without choking. In order for me to keep my mouth clean, which is becoming increasingly difficult, I changed out the faucet in my bathroom for a bar type faucet which has a high spout. This makes the tap about 5 inches higher and allows me to put my face right under the tap and get a really good flow of water into/through my mouth when I brush. And once I was able to do this I discovered that I could drink right out of the tap. Something about being bent over and my throat being higher than my mouth makes the water automatically go down the right way, I'm not sure about the mechanics of it but it works for me. There is still a little bit of choking/burping but not really bad. Now I just need a tap that dispenses beer and I'll be REALLY happy. :cool:

Barry

Hey Barry.....I'm not much of an inventor but I'll get right on that beer dispenser idea! That is a winner :)
Rick

Rick, maybe just a tap on a keg? I haven't been to a kegger in years!:grin:

Barry ... I was sure I was the only one who did the stick-face-under-the-faucet bit. You're right, it is a very cleansing procedure, and gets a lot of gunk out of the mouth quickly before brushing.

I've tried drinking like that, but in that position, the water comes out my nose. The good thing about hydrating with the tube is that for some reason I get an instant sense of water entering my system. It's not as good as cold water by mouth on a hot day, but I can definitely feel it. I can also "feel" Diet Coke when I pour in it the tube. It's the fizz and the chemicals, I guess.

As for a major sense of quenching thirst, orange juice does it for me. Even in small sips it helps.

Beth, I haven't had the water come out my nose yet but you know what? I'll bet that it's coming, just one more thing to look forward to on this trip:roll:

I know what you mean about the refreshing feeling when the liquid hits your stomach through the tube. It is both weird and satisfying at the same time. I tried some Pepsi through my PEG once and it was OK but I didn't really see the point because the only reason I've ever drank a pop (isn't it strange how Canadians shorten soda pop to Pop and Americans shorten it to Soda?) was for the taste and if there is no taste there is no point.

You probably get fresher orange juice there than what we import from Florida and California. I remember having some really fresh fruit and juice when we visited Disneyworld in Florida. The only thing that grows around here is spruce trees and my debt.

I had the PEG fitted a week ago, long story...and due to chest infections up to the peg insertion I have not been allowed anything by mouth at all for nearly 10 days now...Many years ago you could buy a huge cotton bud thing, which was impregnated with lemon juice and was lovely. I have been told that they are now withdrawn, think they were not good for the teeth, but I will be asking SLP next week to see if they still do them in some other flavours.

Hi Jenn, I hope you are getting adjusted to having the peg? Have you eaten anything . Can you still swallow? Is that what happens? Do you get so that you can't swallow ? I have been wondering about that? Hugs, Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back