Care of teeth for ALS patients. Is it important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtPockets

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2006
Country
US
State
Ms
City
Gulfport
I just found out the hard way which I guess you could is my normal way, that If you neglect your teeth you will regret it.
My logic was hey they said I would be dead in 1 more year so why bother going to the dentist when a filling fell out over a year ago. I managed to get along with some pain but saved lots of money right?:confused:

Then this week I could not drink anything cold because another tooth was hurting soo bad. Finally, I could not drink anything hardly to stay hydrated. I gave up and went to the dentist.

I have neglected my teeth, like regular brushing, since my arms and hands do not want to move that way anymore and now I not only have a crowned tooth without a crown, (Filling), I also have 2 abscessed teeth that require root canals. I am on major antibiotics until Tuesday when they will do the work. :roll: :sad:

Time for some input from you now:
1. How do you care for your teeth and what do you use?
2. Have you found a Dentist that will work on you from your wheelchair? I had some trouble with that one.
3. How do I overcome my lifelong fear of the :twisted: dentist :evil: by Tuesday.
help.jpg

Capt. AL sorry you have to have dental work. I hate, hate going to the dentist as well.
I found this artical about oral care that covers some of your questions. It includes adaptive devices to build up toothbrushes, suctioning and tips for caregivers if needed to assist. I know that where I work we transfer people from our facility for specialty care such as radiation or dental appointments and we call ahead to determine if the staff will assist with transferring from wheelchairs or stretchers. If not we send someone with the person or find another provider. We have found a mixture of offices that are willing to accomodate and others that can't or wont. Good Luck with your appointment on Tuesday. Maybe they can give you something to help you relax?

http://www.alsa.org/files/cms/Resources/Oral_Care.pdf

Capt. Al ... so sorry you have to go through this dental stuff! Like you don't have enough on your plate ! :-(

I think it's always important to take care of your teeth, unfortunately, as bacteria from abcesses and poor gums can travel to other parts of the body. (And some studies say can contribute to heart problems.) I figure teeth and bones ... because of falls and fractures ... are the important things to take care of with ALS.

I get through dental appointments by "timing it." When I go into the operatory, I note the time, and tell myself "In one hour (or whatever), this will be over and I'll be feeling totally relieved." And there's really only one painful part of a dental visit: the shot of novacaine. Once that's over, it's just discomfort and annoyance. Also, I try consciously to relax my muscles, as tensing up increases discomfort and/or pain. Concentrating on a Biblical passage you love and repeating it in your mind could help a lot.

Good luck Tuesday. We'll all be thinking of you.

Hi Al,
This is also my least favorite thing to do. However, I found taking a cd player and playing your favorite music is very helpful. Some dentists already have this service and it really does help. You are best to just remove yourself from the environment and music can really work. Bev

This is yet another thing my mother let go.....

Howdy Al. I use an electric toothbrush. I need 2 hands to hang on and brush and last 2 checkups they said I was still doing a good job. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to do it though. Guess the wife will help after that. I go to same dentist(25 years) so we've come through this together. He does my stuff sitting up.

AL.

I went though the same thing. After have a tooth surgically removed in pieces.....The dentist is nothing!

Hi Al, Beth is right about the novacaine. Once it takes effect, there is no more pain.
My hubby uses a sonicare toothbrush. It is fat, so it is easy to grip, but it is too heavy for him to lift.
He just rests it on the sinktop & since the brush vibrates really fast, all he has to do is push it back & forth.
It works for now anyway.
Good luck Tuesday. It will be over before you know it!

Thanks for the ideas

It will be over before you know it!
:lol:

We ought to have a thread with that heading. :oops:
What do you expect I'm aby-normal. :smile:

I love the idea of the music. Thanks. I guess I have bad memories of when I had to have two teeth pulled years ago and they broke off. They were wrapped around the bone. Ugh! Hurt like many bad things. Hard to get rid of some memories I guess.

After all consideration, and much thinking I think I will fully charge my wheelchair batteries and try to make a run for the border. I'M CHICKEN:shock::shock:

Last edited:
Capt Al, don't go south are you may end up with Swine Flu. Head north!

Hey AL think I can get to your house on one charge? :D

OK, Capt. Al ... if the Bible verse didn't get you :) (I use a mantra myself), we'll have to go to Plan B: Take pills! Ativan should do it. Maybe you ought to start now ...

Capt. AL....if you are going to make a run for the north.....why not make it a cross Canada tour?
You can charge up at Al's in Ontario, head on out here to Winnipeg in the center....charge up...then take in Barry's in Alberta and finish up at Joel's in B.C.! You'lll get a great look at the country and set a few records as well:)
We'd all love to have you! and when all the rest of your 'canuck' friends find out you are coming you may be up here for years!
Good luck next week!
Rick

Capt. Al's cross canada tour

"You can charge up at Al's in Ontario, head on out here to Winnipeg in the center....charge up...then take in Barry's in Alberta and finish up at Joel's in B.C.!"

Absolutely! Mi casa es su casa!

Barry

But leave the lawn mower at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back