Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
any
City
any
First of all, most of you know what an odd sense of humor I have sometimes...:roll::roll:

Now for the good news-

I got my official notice from social security yesterday, and am happy to FINALLY say I was approved! I was denied in Dec because of my work history, not because of ALS. I found that odd, but...

So I reapplied on 3.6.09 with the help of my friend the lawyer, yes, she's working for me for free.

I will be on ssd AND Medicare as of 6/1/09. I'll be 49 in June also, so I figure it's my birthday gift from the government. LOL My first check should arrive in July.

I do have to find out how I'm supposed to apply for benefits for my 2 youngest children, and also need to know how much money I can earn at work while drawing disability. That's if I even want to continue working. Have to admit, I kinda like being at home for the boys and making it to all of their ballgames!

But I wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate all of the friendship and support on this forum. I've had quite the long list of "things" to do while waiting for this ssd decision. Never thought I would be so excited about Medicare...

I wonder if that would entitle me to the Sr Citizen Discount at Wendy's............:mrgreen:

take care all
brenda

CONGRATS! I am so happy for you that things pulled through. I know my dad's been anxious while he's not working, the paperwork and hoops they make you go through is grueling...but worth it :)

...and you know what I heard? When you turn 50 you get a discount at Ross - Dress For Less! I bet you get the Wendy's one too...hehe, just going along with the humor, glad you have it.

Bless you Brenda!

congratulations brenda:grin:
i too was excited when i eventually got my disability lol.
its one less thing to worry about and you know you have some financial stability(though its not much)

Brenda, you do not have to apply for the children it is all automatic, you will first start receiving your own check and then you will be getting a letter about the children, you will start receiving benefits on them in a few months and it will be retroactive to the date you started receiving your first check. At least that is the way it worked for me, and by the way congratulations!

Brenda,

Congrats! Quit work if you can and enjoy your family.....

Congrats and Happy early Birthday!

Brenda,

I'm glad you finally won that battle!

I sometimes get the senior coffee discount at a certain McDonalds drive-thru. I use to do voices for puppets (scarey) and I had "grandpa" down to a T. I use his voice at the drive-thru just to see if I can get the discount.

I know, shame on me...

Zaphoon

Hi Brenda. Glad you finally got approved! I believe you can earn up to about $900 a month with no affect on your SSDI. Check the web site, it will give you the exact amount. And as far as your kids go, it SHOULD be automatic, but if you don't recieve it within a few months of yours starting, call right away. I went on SSDI and never received benefits for my daughter. One day years later, it dawned on me (duh!) that I should have been getting benefits for her. I called, did a phone interview & a few months later got back pay for several years.

Oh, and Z, you are too funny! Did they ever try to make you pay full price once you pulled up to the window to pay?

Last edited:
No, they never made me pay full price. The person taking the order probably figured it was their mistake. I mean, after all, surely I wasn't trying to put one over on them just for a cheaper cup of coffee. Right? (ha, ha, ha)

When my wife I go out to eat and the hostess asks for our names, I tell them, "Ken and Barbie". Usually gets a laugh and occassionally, someone will ask, "Really?"

Zaphoon

thanks to everyone for your kind comments!

And guess what I got yesterday-my official Medicare card! I feel like a kid at Christmas- course my own kids think I'm a goofball, but that's ok too.

Being a complete control freak, I will probably get on the ss website later and see what I can find out about the kids. If I don't get answers, then I'll make hubby call our local office tomorrow.

Then he also has to call our present insurance and let them know about Medicare, don't know which one will be primary? He's going to need lots of rolaids/tums/maalox tomorrow. I'm the one that LOVES talking on the phone, and as much as I love it, that's how much he HATES it.

Wish me luck!
hugs to you all,
brenda

Way to go Brenda! I love how you say "I'll make hubby call our local office tomorrow". That's exactly what I say except mine is more like "Please, if you're not too busy, can you call ..."LOL Also it's funny that you can say hubby but we can't say wifey. Anyway I'm glad that you got your coverage, good for you and keep "hubby" talking. It's good for him. :p

yeah, I used to say "please" BEFORE HE RETIRED!

Now, he has no excuse!:lol::lol::lol:

Welcome to the Medicare club! And Happy Hirthday in advance too :)

The entire year I was 49 I just about never said it, because I was getting psyched to turn 50 and be able to get that out t without stammering. Anytime someone would ask how old I was~ which actually happens pretty often with airline crews because much of the time the first time you meet someone is working the trip with them ~ I'd reply that I was going to be 50 the following year. I finally was able to say it without cringing too!

Good luck with figuring the rest out ~ (yeah, he's not going to enjoy it one bit)

and I even said please...........

Yes, dear hubby called the ss office for me today, and I have yet another appt with them on Wed. to file for the boys.

Thought it was funny to hear him asking all the questions!
thanks again everyone, ya'll are the greatest!
brenda

Welcome to the club Brenda.. I got it for my 40th birthday.. I told my hubby that I thought people got face-lift's and fancy cars for the 40th.. Not medicare...:?:?:?:? glad that will be one less thing to worry about.. Happy belated birhtday you dear sweet wonderful lady..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back