Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
NE
City
Lincoln
I'm a 53 year old male, still working as an Electrical Engineer, mostly a desk job designing big substation transformers. I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but let me tell you what's been happening.

About this time (April) last year, I started having terrible leg cramps at night. Doctor gave me medicine to stop the leg cramps, and for awhile it did. Then last fall, I started falling from time to time. Doctor sent me to physical therapy for an evaluation. Turns out my falling was from my left foot dropping and tripping me. PT people put me in a brace to hold my left foot level. Around the same time, I started getting weak, and found it hard to walk long distances. Doctor sent me to a neuralogist, who MRIed me from my tailbone to the base of my skull. They didn't find anything blatantly wrong mechanical wise with my backbone, no pinched nerves or anything. About Christmastime, I started falling again, and seemed to have little coordination between my feet. I've fallen a lot between Christmas and now, to the point of knowing how to fall now to avoid banging my hips.
At this point, my leg cramps are back with a vengeance. I've lost a lot of muscle mass in my left leg, and my thigh muscles twitch all the time now. My stamina is very low, and the only way I can work is to use a cane and/or a walker. Good thing I have a desk job.
Within the last month, the main muscles in my upper arms have started twitching also.
Dr sent me to another neuroligist he knew who evaluated me and looked at my MRIs. He also said there is nothing wrong with my backbone except a little deterioration that is probably responsible for my occasional low back pain. He said I probably have something degenerative, and made me a referral to the Neurosciences unit at Barnes-Jewish hospital in St. Louis. In the last month I've started having a bit of problem choking on coffee. I drag my left leg badly now, and have very limited movement/control of it. I'm using a motorized three wheel electric scooter at work now if I have to go any further than the copier.

Well, I have an appointment May 28th down there at Barnes, and maybe we'll get on the road to finding what's going wrong with me.

I am certainly not ready to sit back and do nothing, I'll go nuts. So, if it is something degenerative, I'm going to work as long as humanly possible, and my employer will do everything to assist that, even to the point of buying me this electric scooter. It may even be possible for me to do some of my design work at home, with occasional forays into the office for meetings, etc.

Of yea, my wife is a renal dialysis patient who has to have dialysis 3 times a week. But she's getting slowly better, and my soon be able to drive. I hope so, because my driving days may be numbered. I sold my old truck today, because it has a manual transmission, and I just can't handle the clutch any more. Thank God our main, new car is automatic.

So, here I am, dearly hoping it's not ALS/MND and there's something they can do to fix it.

Perry L. Vale

Hello Perry and welcome to the forum. I am also 53 and was diagnosed with bulbar onset ALS just over a year ago and so far only my speech and swallowing have been affected. I hope that the folks at the hospital in St. Louis can figure out what's happening to you, it's always an anxious time waiting for appointments and answers.
There a lot of good people here who can be a great help so if you have any questions or comments just let us know.

Barry

hi perry.
welcome to the forum:)
sorry to hear about your deteriorating health,lets hope it is something they can treat.
besides mri,have you had any emg's yet or will that be at your next appointment?
did they offer any possibilities of what it could be?

Hi Perry!

Wow! It looks like you have a lot going on. I'm right in the neighborhood, as far as a neurologist goes. I've got my next appointment across the street from Barnes at the Wash U clinic (I'm 52). The neuros at Barnes are said to be among the best. So, you can at least feel good about being in the care of very good hands.

I hope the doctors get to the bottom of things quickly for you!

Zaphoon

Welcome Perry.. Sorry for the reason you are here.. But Like to welcome you to a great place.. Lots of great knowledge here....

Hi Perry,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of you and your wife's health problems. I'm sure you will find much useful information here, when you feel like nobody understands, someone here will. Many kind and supportive people here.

Got haul;ed to the Er this weekend. Was at a Radio club function at a one room school house we lease down on I44 between St Clair and Pacific. Was drinking a can of coke and the last swallow went into the lungs. I was wheezing and gasping and unable to draw a good breath and they called the St. Clair ambulance out. They inverted me and put me on Oxyen for the trip to Washington ER. I was pretty much OK by the time I got to the ER. ER Dr told me about the ways to not tip my head back, ie use a straw, and small sips. Darn scary for a bit.

Perry, Glad that you're Ok! When I had my last swallowing test the SLP told me "no thin liquids except water" and I thought how boring is that? The not tilting your head back is good advice but can you still use a straw? I can't get any lip seal for a straw to work, even when I do a pulmonary test I have to hold my lips closed with my fingers.

Take care of yourself,
Barry

Perry

I don't know why they haven't already done EMG's and NCS on you. Thay should have been done after the MRI'S.

I wish you well. And hope it can be taken care of.

Lorie

I assume such things will be done May 28th, when I have an appointment at Barnes-Jewish in St. Louis, or shrtly thereafter. Lots of changes happening. I didn't realize my voice had changed, until reading on this forum brought it to mind. Yep, it's passing strange to use a straw to drink from a can of Pepsi. I can still get a good seal, but corbonated cola with a straw, I have to leave the sip in my mouth a bit to let come of the carbonation get out. I'm at work, but the drug the Dr put me on Friday for twitching, etc, (baclofen) is leaving me almost unable to function. Got a call into him to see if I should take any more.

It is my understanding that it can take as much as a few weeks for meds to finally do what they are prescribed to do. Sometimes, the medications will initially increase the symptoms they are meant to decrease before they become effective.

In other words, you may have to give the baclofen a bit more time.

Zaphoon

initially the baclofen made me very tired, but after a few weeks that passed.

hi perry.
glad to hear you are ok after your choking episode.
i had a bad one some months back,could not breathe and though that was it. very scarey situation to be in.

the baclofen will make you tired at first but then get better,a few do find a continued intolerance.
i was told at least 6-8wks for them to get into the system,it was about that when i started to feel a difference
some who can not tolerate it orally or need a higher dose use a baclofen pump.

i really hope your next appointment and tests go well:D

hi all
dad can suck liquid through a straw, but cant lift the cup (even half full) to bring it to his mouth. this means, obviously when we are there, we do it for him, but when we are not, he cant have a drink (he is still in hospital) anyone got any ideas how dad can drink when no one is there to help? l hadnt thought about the fact that he may not be able to drink through a straw in time, wonder how things will be then? So any tips for when that stage comes will also be appreciated, but for now any tips on if there are any gadgets/devices available to get that straw into his mouth will be great

best wishes to all

Not a straw but how about something like one of those camelback backpack type things where a sip tube is right beside your head and all you have to do is turn your head to access it? Maybe something like that could be mounted onto a wheelchair or somewhere else.

I find it interesting (and cruel) that something that is called the same disease can make it impossible for some to drink with a straw and for others impossible to drink without one. In my case I have no trouble lifting the glass, I just can't do anything with it and I may as well just pour it on my shirt cause that's where it's going to go anyway. Just grumping, sorry.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back