Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Suburb of Toronto
I've been drinking heavily the past couple months. Trying to forget about this ordeal (obviously not the answer). Really heavily, actually. I know drinking heavily is horrible for your health in general - but If I did have MND, could this speed up the progression? Is it generally not recommended in relation to the disease?

no specific answers here, but my wife has switched from beer to red wine. at least theres some positive things to say about wine & health

Hi Glenn ... I don't know if it's recommended or not. If you're drinking "really heavily," I'd be concerned. I quit drinking a couple decades ago when it got out of control, and I think now, "What would be the harm?" Then I think of me with my REALLY unsteady balance and five falls in the last month, and picture me with a belly full of booze and what it would do to my judgment as well as my balance.

I know a lot of PALS enjoy a few glasses (or puffs) of whatever, and they have no problems ... it adds a lot to the quality of life for those who can handle it. But if you're drinking heavily, that's a different matter. Heavy drinking does so much damage to the body and brain, it's kinda crazy to add it to the damage ALS does. One of the direct effects of heavy drinking is neurological damage very similar to the symptoms of BFS ... only it's not benign, as I believe the neurological damage from heavy drinking is permanent.

breathing issues

We were told that alcohol not good when the diaphram issue is a problem and I cannot remember why but know that it supresses something. Can you tell I am tired?
Sorry, when I can think tomorrow, I will repost. ha ha

Good night

Patty

I knew there was a reason I got a trache and vent. ....LOL. Now all I need to do is take up drinking!

if you take Rilutek and excess alcohol it can really kick hell out of your liver. Make sure you get your blood tests done regularly.

AL.

Glen ... here is something I copied out a couple months ago from "answers.com." I had looked it up because I was reading the BFS forum, and was struck by some of the people on it who seemed to be really heavy drinkers and didn't seem to be aware that there could be a connection to neurological damage.

alcohol-related-neurological-disease

Alcoholic myopathy (disorder affecting muscle tissue) can be either acute (rapid onset of symptoms) or chronic (slower onset to develop symptoms). Acute alcoholic myopathy can involve symptoms such as muscular cramps, weakness, swelling, and tenderness in affected areas of muscle. Chronic alcoholic myopathy can be painless, but is associated with weakness due to nerve atrophy.

Even young collage-age kids can "overdose" on alcohol ... so if you're concerned about having a neuromuscular disease like ALS, I'd cut back the drinking till you get some answers. There are safer ways to relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back