Status
Not open for further replies.

helper

Hi, I'd like to start off by saying this is a WONDERFUL place for advice and support. I've been reading for about a month and finally got up the nerve to post. Its my mil that has been diagnosed with ALS. She's had symtoms for over a year but they first thought it was a stroke. Her first symptoms were slurred speach (Aug. 2004) Back home she had an MRI done(Nov 2005) and was told indeed she had a stroke and then the neurologist told her she had ALS (Nov.2005). She just recently saw Dr Strong and was told there was no stroke. huh? She has bulbar onset and has been on a feeding tube since November 2005. There's so many questions we have about this disease but unfortunately they all can't be answered and we're all living it day by day. Its hard for me sometimes because i'm the in-law and i don't know what i should do or say sometimes. Our plan is to have her move in with us (my dh and 3little ones) as soon as she can't live alone. We're in the process of selling our house and have found the perfect one for all of us...
Right now she can barely speak (we can barely understand her) and she's looking into some devices. She was told that if she hadn't lost her voice yet she could have recorded it to use as her computer voice...nice that the clinic here never told her that!
I plan to have many questions for you all and really appreciate you all just being there....

thanks
helper

HI Helper,

My Mother who was Dx in Aug/05 moved in with us(husband and 2 small boys) in Dec./05. She can still get around a little bit, but does require help. Having her with us is hard, but wounderful all at the same time. I know my time with her is limited, so having her live with me gives me so much peace. It's the least I can do for someone who has done so much for me. Take care.

Michele

that is the big reason why we asked mil to come live with us...I want her to be around the kids and I want the kids around her..
We all know its going to be an adjustment but are willing to take the chance especially if it keeps her out of the hospital a little longer. I don't know how long or how much care I can provide but am going to try hard to make her as comfortable and happy as I can..

thanks
Jodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back