Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OH
City
Mason
I am starting a grassroots effort to maintain an ALS database. I want to study spatial issues related to ALS.

I do not want your personal information (name, etc.).

However, I would like the following, if you feel free to share this information:

Please list the following:

 Places you have lived (city and state ONLY, as well as zip code, if known/readily accessible). I do not want full addresses.

 State of origin (where you were born)

 Occupations (if place of employment was far from where you lived, please list place of employment)

 Hobbies

Thanks.

Also, I am not sure how much environmental contaminant information I can obtain from other countries, but I will try. So, if you live outside the United States, please send me your information as well. I know I asked for to list your zip code. Please list whatever the equivalent postal code is for your location.

Thanks.

I just don't think I'm comfortable posting this information about myself on such a public venue. I think your effort is worthwhile, but, maybe a different way of compiling the information is needed. Perhaps someone has some suggestions for this.

I wish the the best in your endeavor and hope you don't take me choosing to decline the wrong way.

survey

we did a similar survey with northwestern university when we donated our blood.
I think the trial is still open

i am starting a grassroots effort to maintain an als database. I want to study spatial issues related to als.

However, i would like the following, if you feel free to share this information:

 places you have lived (city and state only, as well as zip code, if known/readily accessible). I do not want full addresses.

 state of origin (where you were born)

 occupations (if place of employment was far from where you lived, please list place of employment)

 hobbies

thanks.

i was born and lived in brooklyn than staten island than nj
i was in medical field in staten island then nj near my home
hobbies- fishing, sewing. Cooking,gardering

I am starting a grassroots effort to maintain an ALS database. I want to study spatial issues related to ALS.

However, I would like the following, if you feel free to share this information:

 Places you have lived (city and state ONLY, as well as zip code, if known/readily accessible). I do not want full addresses.

 State of origin (where you were born)

 Occupations (if place of employment was far from where you lived, please list place of employment)

 Hobbies

Thanks.

Mom lived in Toronto, Nova Scotia, and Ottawa
Mom was born in Toronto
Mom worked in Schools in Ottawa, Chartered Accountant, and Canafian Real Estate Assotiation
Mom Volunteered, enjoyed Walking, and scapbooking

I was concerned that people may not feel comfortable providing information. Would it be easier if I gave an e-mail address for people to e-mail me? City and state information is the most important so it can be mapped using GIS software and then compared to maps of environmental contaminants. If not, I understand.

Are you using maphazards.com? That site will tell you whether there are any toxic areas near your home. Of course, you will need to take into account history and delayed effects of toxicity on possible cases of ALS. The person may have lived in an area that is no longer recognized as having environmental toxins, or the person was exposed at different ages, periods of time, etc.

Actually, I know that there was a study conducted from roughly 2001-2003 that mapped patient's zip codes against known Superfund sites. I work for a government contractor for the EPA so I am familar with some of the different places to find contaminant information. I think Superfund information is important, but I think it would be more helpful to map information against individual contaminants.

I want to use information from TOXMAP - http://toxmap.nlm.nih.gov/toxmap/help/faq.jsp

You can obtain information for individual chemicals. I want to look at TCE, as it may be a possible risk factor for Gulf War Veterans developing ALS.

I just wanted to do this as my own independent study since my dad was diagnosed with ALS. If I found anything significant, I would present my research to others.

I may just use the data from 2001-2003 and add any information that anyone has provided here.

Thanks.

If I find anything, I will let you know.

I wish you well in your studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back