ptich

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
California
City
Mountain View
As I found in my medical records, I was prescribed Prozac for mild depression in April 2003. I remember that I was taking it for a few weeks, and then stopped as it did not seem to help. I think it was approximately end of 2003 or 2004 when I felt that my left arm was weird and clumsy. I had many more UMN symptoms since then, which led me to believe that I have ALS (most of the symptoms have disappeared by now). I am wondering if antidepressants are known to cause these issues.

Sorry but you cannot blame ALS on antidepressants.

There is no known cause...... yet.

I hope one day they will find it so we can stop people from getting it.

Pitch, is your question: might Prozac have either caused or contributed to what you felt were upper motor neuron symptoms, because now that you're no longer on Prozac, your symptoms have lessened? Can antidepressants have that side effect? (I don't have any answers or even opinions, just trying to clarify the question)

Well, my question was: in the last 4.5 years I had an attack of various UMN symptoms that seemed to peak in 2006-2007, accompanied by mild LMN symptoms most of which are still there. Could taking Prosac in 2003 for a few weeks, and then quitting, be a cause ? I doubt it, but wanted to hear other's opinions.

No, I just found it when I was getting copies of my medical records for the last few years.

Don't know about you but, my mother never took any medication.

OK I'll go out on a limb here and say there is absolutely no way taking Prozac for a few weeks is any way related. I'm sure sometime in your lifetime you've taken a round of antibiotics. Maybe they did it. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to find blame. Let it rest. Will anything change? Nope.

AL.

als and chantix

al do you think chantix could it messes with nerve receptors that send messages to the brain to help you quit smoking, my husband started taking it in april 08 started having problems in may 08 speech started slurring in june 08 he was finally diagnosed in sept 08, its probably not related but we have often wondered since als is degeneration of the nerves. of course they don't know but we still wonder

Hi rowland's wife. I'm not a doc or scientist but did do a few years on the Haz Mat team of a fairly large fire dept. and learned a fair bit about chemical exposures and chemicals. I really doubt that taking any OTC or prescription drugs for a few weeks would cause ALS or MND's. I do think it may be caused by a toxin or combination of toxins plus a possible genetic predisposition to them. I have no idea what the toxin may be. They are doing some research on it here in Canada.

AL.

I have to go on the vunerabilty of one's own system. My mother was not exposed to any toxins like you are describing. She has never been a medication taker. She was a smoker but that hasn't even been found to be a factor. It just happens, there is no rhyme or reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back