Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Vancouver
I was diagnosed oct. 2008 just after turning 55. At that time i was starting to have trouble walking. My right foot was dropping. I started using a cane when out of the house. Now i need a walker. It is still just my legs that are affected.
We live in a beautiful 2 level home and our bedrooms are upstairs. I can still climb the stairs but i want to plan for when i can't climb them anymore. We do not have a main floor bedroom but we could convert our diningroom into a bedroom however the biggest problem is our main floor bathroom is only a sink and toilet. We could add a shower or walk in tub but it will be at least a $25,000 cost. Are there experts in the vancouver area that can re design a house to meet my needs. If we do the reno i want to be sure to think of everything i will need in the future.
Any ideas?

Since you are in the Vancouver area I assume you are going to the GF strong clinic. Speak to the OT there and she and the team will help you out. They are great people.I recommend registering with the ALS Society immediately. The OT is the liaison between you and the society and submits the requests for equipment on your behalf out of the loan closet. They (the OT) will come and assess your house and make recommendations. Between the OT at GF and our local lady who is a little fireball and gets things done we are getting lifts (tracks installed on Monday) and have wheelchair and power chair (loaners from Medichair which ALS society pays for) until insurance approves her own. Medichair is dealing direct with both of our extended benefit providers getting approvals and payment etc. We purchased our own Acorn stair glider. I installed it myself with the help of my 17yr old son in less than 2 hrs. We have a 2 level home but bedrooms bathroom and kitchen are on the upper floor. 14 stairs straight up. It was a nightmare before we got that let me tell you. The wife has limb onset and cannot walk at all. It broke my heart to see what she used to have to endure the few months before we bought it. Your OT will probably know a reputable contractor as well for the stuff you would have to pay for. We are hooked up with a very good one that does lots of work for VIHA here on the island to my understanding.

we have a large home, and have installed a stairlift so I can still go up to my bedroom, and will change one bedroom into a second lounge to save lots of unnecessary trips downstairs...but looking ahead, the ot has suggested that we have a wheelchair accessible bathroom downstairs..we have a toilet but not a shower downstairs at the moment......I dont know whether it is possible for you to buy one of these on your side of the pond..it is a self contained bathroom pod, which basically fits into a convenient space, it can be moved to another house if you move..and much cheaper than a full blown alteration.....just look up www.contour-showers.co.uk under cubicles. I am sure if you have this information you MIGHT be able to find something similar in canada

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennifer, your link does not work.

Hey

Delete the ....look at the end of Jenn's link. Have a nice day all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back