Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CRO
State
Dalmacija
City
Solin
Hello! Im new here and coming from Croatia.Im sorry cause of my English... hope somebody will understand.:p:lol:I need advice concerning what to do next.And have some questions. My problems started 7 years ago.I started to feel weak and lost balance. My muscles started to twitch 4 years ago first in my legs then in other parts of my body.I have days when i feel better but never remmitted the way i was before i first felt weakness in my body.Doctor did blood tests CT scan of my brain and bunch of other researches 7 years ago . everything was fine .They couldnt find a diagnose but when i mentioned that i have muscles twitching together with weakness doctor sent me at EMG. They did EMG on my left wrist wich was fine . Doctor said that he can see from that EMG all nerves.I need advice please.
1.can the EMG of the wrist show do i have ALS or it takes EMG of legs and arms also?
2.does ALS cause pain and deformity of spine?
3. does ALS causes weakness of the back and innabillity to get up sometimes ? if does can that come and go?
thanks...im very confused

Hello, Welcome to the forum. From what you describe, and the time frame, I don't think you have to worry about ALS. With ALS symptoms do not come and go, nor does it cause deformity. ALS affects the muscles only and they waste away, thus making you weak. Try not to worry.

"They did EMG on my left wrist wich was fine . Doctor said that he can see from that EMG all nerves."

Hi Maria, what you are referring to sounds like a NCV (nerve conduction test) which is a part of EMG testing in the United Kingdom. Perhaps he could see that there was no block in the conduction in the nerves of your hand/wrist. Has your doctor put any needles directly in the muscles of your hand/arm? You need to have a sign of denervation/reinnervation ('dirty' emg) in more than one part of the body in order to be diagnosed with ALS. Look at El Escorial criteria, which explains this. You can either use a search option here, or search via Google.

I agree with Joelc, ALS symtptoms do not come and go in a way you describe.

Thank you all for the answers! I was very anxious cause of my symptoms it frustrated me a lot . but person has to live every moment the best that person can. The doctor that i visited thought that i maybe have ALS cause of my symptoms (fasciculations and weakness ) but the EMG didnt show any denervations in my left wrist . I was confused cause the doctor said that he can see from that EMG that all of my muscles are fine... So i decided to go visit other doctor and ask him to explain to me about EMG and ALS cause i have fasciculations and weaknesss in my legs and arms. But i personally think that i dont have ALS cause i have sensory symptoms( sometimes i cant feel my leg or arm) its just that fasciculations wakes up doubt ... anyway what ever that i have , i have to move on cause a year i was very depressed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back