How long before weakness hits second limb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKNJ

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Hi all. My name is Justin and I'm 24 years old. Since December 19th of 2008, I've been experiencing some strange and (seemingly) neurological symptoms. I'm relatively new here and have already made a few posts asking questions. I know I'm being somewhat redundant with this post but posting really helps me from going crazy until my EMG.

Anyway, I have 3 questions I'd like to pose to everyone here. Any answers are extremely appreciated!

1. I first felt weakness in my left arm and now it's spread to my left leg. For those with ALS/knowledge of the disease, is it normal (or even abnormal but possible) for the weakness to spread in a matter of weeks?

2. How long does visible wasting take? My left wrist looks smaller than my right...but it's probably just because I'm right handed and have had more muscle there all along and never compared.

3. Aside from ALS, what other conditions could have caused significant weakness in my left arm and leg all within the time frame of one month (MS has already been ruled out)? I know thyroid problems/potassium deficiencies can cause weakness...but only on one side of the body?

Thank you all and God bless.

Hi Justin,

I am Ronelle from South Africa. I am new to his forum although I have been diagnosed 9 months ago. I feel sorry for you because you are so young and you have all these worries. You questions are difficult to answer as ALS symptoms differ from person to person and are totally unpredictable. After having symptoms for two years now, I can still not predict how I will feel tomorrow or even later today. Some days I can do thngs for myself and then the next day I cannot use my right hand or my left arm. I know the feeling of utter dispair of the thought that it could be ALS! I will pray that the diagnoses is much simpler.

Ronelle

ALS should be at the bottom of your list at this time. See a doctor, and he start at very long list of very treatable and less serious things. Relax.. you are young, and als is far on your radar screen.. Really far...

ALS should be at the bottom of your list at this time. See a doctor, and he start at very long list of very treatable and less serious things. Relax.. you are young, and als is far on your radar screen.. Really far...

Thanks. It turns out you were right. My EMG was clean today. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back