Diagnosis
02/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Freedom
My husband was just diagnosed with Bulbar ALS. He is 45 years old and we are devastated. I have many questions but what im looking for today is... is there any problems for a ALS patient to travel to a higher altitude? We are still babies in this and i am so worried for my husband because we live in California and a friend is taking our family to his cabin in Tahoe where the air is thinner! Any words of wisdom would greatly be appreciated !
Thank you in advanced

If he is not having breathing problems then don't worry and enjoy your trip to Tahoe.

I have been through breathing problems for several years and went through a time having to use a bipap and now I have a tracheostomy and vent - it has not stopped me from doing anything or going anywhere I want.
Enjoy your time there!

Can I come? LoL.

We live at 1500 ft altitude next to Summit Lake. We traveled out to Montana and went to Yellowstone Park where the elevation is high. I don't remember the altitude. Rick was fine and strong and didn't seem to have any breathing effects whatsoever the whole two weeks we were there. Rick has ALS, uses a bipap, and his diaphragm function has decreased somewhat. I repeat, he was fine. Enjoy your trip!

Joel, Thank you for your response.... one other question. even if its colder weather he'll be ok? He isnt using any support for beathing ...yet!

Marjorie,
Thank you for answering me:) BTW, was Rick using the bipap while you were vacationing?

Colder weather is not a show stopper but cold is much more noticable to people with ALS so take some warm clothing.

Hi Dana;
I was diagnosed with bulbar ALS about a year ago and I have not had any problems with altitude or cold weather. I live in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies at about 3300 feet and often go up higher into the mountains for work and play. The only problem I've had with the cold is that my car wouldn't start because I forgot to plug it in when it was -40 degrees. But seriously, like Joel and Marjorie said, if your husband isn't having breaking problems by all means go on the trip and have a good time!

And by the way, welcome!

Barry

Marjorie, Barry and Joel,
Thank you for responding! I feel like Im part of an ALS family now... feels good! We will go on our trip and have a wonderful time! I will be sure to let you know how it goes.
I have so many more questions and will write later..... btw what does PALS and CALS stand for?

God Bless,
Dana

PALS stands for people that have ALS and CALS stands for caregivers for people who have ALS. Enjoy your trip!

Dana,
I live at 6000feet in Jackson Hole,was diagnosed 1/09.Bulbar onset last march.I have hiked up to 12000ft last summer and actually felt better..lol. I live in an area that has temps down to -30 and have had no problems.I do get teeth chatter a little more than normal because of als.So enjoy your trip to tahoe.
James

JamesMcC,

I hear ya on the teeth chatter! I think in my case it's because I'm just so so skinny. Those super models got nothin on me except money, fame, good looks .......:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back