Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
KY
City
Stanford
Anyone had the experience of Detrol stopping you from urinating?

I suspect that my mother is really just fighting the Detrol. Especially since she started urinating again (15 min after my father told her he wouldn't give her anymore Detrol).

As usual, she is fighting yet another suggestion from the doctor. She went as far as to throw things at my father because of it. The sad thing is that if she hadn't seen the color of the water being different, she wouldn't have known she was getting the Detrol.

In 2 days, she went from 20 times on the bedside potty to 12.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had issues using Detrol?

Your mother needs to be assessed by a urologist.

urologist says all is fine. advised that he did not have experiece with als patients.

go to a urologist or a neurologist that can order a urodynamics test. 20 times to void in 24 hours is is not not normal. What and how much is she drinking?

nothing by mouth....has peg. gets 4 cans of ensure plus per day plus syringes of water per peg instructions.

could she have a bladder infection?
could a medication be the cause?

Nope, all has been checked. The strange thing is that she gets one loratab in the evening for pain. This one pill cuts down on her potty visits. Dr seems to think that the part of the brain that signals the need to go potty is being affected by the ALS. He prescribed the Detrol to further reduce the bladder spasms. Like I said, I think it is her psychologically fighting it. She only knew she was getting it because the liquid in the peg syringe was blue...lol

Now, they have decided to give her another Loratab in the morning to see if it cuts down on the daytime pottying.

Elavil is another medication that could help the bladder instability and those anxieties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back