ptich

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
California
City
Mountain View
I read on this forum that Social Security disability is automatic with ALS, while employer's is not. Could somebody please elaborate what are the additional requirements ? My employer's LT Disability limits it to no more than 24 months for any neuromuscular condition (which is understandable), but it does not go into specifics if ALS diagnosed automatically triggers disability.

SS disability

We're just getting started with my husband's LTC benefit. Have not filed yet. My understanding is that if you are diagnosed with ALS, if you file with SS disability, you should get approved within a few days but will not get a check for 6 months. I called my husband's disability insurance co and they said to go through HR for the LTC benefit. She said you would apply for short term disability first and after 180 days, file for long term. She said some companies let the person go after the short term disability. You'll need to read your benefit booklet and/or call HR and ask to speak to the benefit person. We're going to go to SS also because we can probably learn more accurate info from them for the best way to go. I thought it was a law that if a person is diagnosed with ALS, your company cannot drop your life insurance. That's another reason I want to go to SS. I heard they are great.

My experience was that the short term and long term disability paid until the SS benefits were "awarded" (that is SS term for getting OKd) a year and 1/2 later. The short term disability covered the 5 or 6 month waiting period and did not have to be paid back. The LTD had to be paid back out of the SS award which did go back to 5 month date. Also my LTD paid for the lawyer, because they want you to get SS also. I also got medicare as soon as my SSD was awarded. But as was said, every company and insurance is different. Best Wishes, Peg

LTD at work

my husbands LTD will pay as long as they determine it is not prexisting, meaning he was not treated for it before his LTD went into effect. but we filed for it in september they don't get in a hurry to give it to you, we will probably have his disability first as it only does take 6 months.On life insurance ask his work for a form to cobra his life insurance it may or may not be affordable, but this usually has to be done within 30 days of loss of employment, same with his health insurance.my husbands work actually pays for a policy for him for 2 years that was company sponsered .

As a former supervisor of many employees, I found that most companies should have a Summary Plan Description (SPD) available for the various employee levels. Some are even available online. Since requirements can change from state to state, the SPD should list all of the criteria for your policy. Many larger companies also assign each employee a case manager when they apply for disability. I believe the laws in most states require this SPD to be available for all covered employees.

My husband has LT for the next five years. He also has life insurance which we don't pay for. It only covers a small amount. I tried to get life insurance for him with my company but they declined it. Wasn't asking for much. Hate the discrimination due to ALS.

Life insurance can be bought with companies that have not medical check.
Like Gerberlife and Globe life to name two. Not large amounts but you could maybe buy from more that one company.

If you are between the ages of 50 and 75, you can obtain $10,000, $7,000, $5,000, or $3,000 in guaranteed cash benefits insurance from Gerber Life. We guarantee your acceptance—regardless of your health! And your spouse (now age 50 to 75) can get up to $10,000 in guaranteed benefit protection, too.
Our guarantee to accept all applicants, age 50 to 75 is made possible by a Graded Death Benefit Limitation. It is the first 2 years of coverage. The benefit payment for death due to illness during that period is a full refund of all premiums paid PLUS 10%. You may qualify for a full death benefit policy that provides full benefits from inception. The benefit payment for death due to accident during the first two-year period is the full face amount.

After the two-year Graded Period, the FULL benefit amount is paid for any covered cause. In the event of suicide during the first two years of coverage (1 year in CO, MO and ND), benefits are limited to the return of premiums paid.

long term disabilty

must be different in the usa,i have long term disabilty until i am 65 ,i get 70 percent of my sALARY PLUS MY BENEFITS, sO RIGHT NOW I GET MY CANADA PENSION DISABILTY AND THE INSURANCE CO PICKS UP THE REST TO MAKE 70%,pLUS MY EMPLOYER PAYS MY PENSION CONTRIBUTION.eVERY SO OFTEN I HAVE TO GIVE THEN A MEDICAL UPDATE NUT THEY DON'T BOTHER ME.hELL ITS NOT LIKE WE ARE DOGGING IT WITH A SORE BACK ,THESE INSURANCE COMPANY;S THAT HAVE PEOPLE WITH ALS IT SHOULD BE NO QUESTION OF COVERAGE ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back