Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
I was wondering if anyone can provide any leads on Rilutek and its impact on male fertility.

The only studies I come across are about male and female rats (and impaired fertility) but no definite data on humans. Thanks.

Hi
I have not heard of any human studies at all it's all rats and I think they were on a very high dose. Have you asked a good neurologist? Do you have access to a good neuro? They may have anecdotal evidence in the absence of research.

Kings College Hospital in London have a very good ALS unit so does Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham (there I really like Dr Pall) and I wonder if someone in these units may have experience of Rilutek and conception.

I had my child by IVF (I don't have ALS, but my family have the hereditary form) so a good assisted conception unit may also be of help and are used to infertility problems due to illness and drugs. Sadly all vary in terms of helpfulness.

I'm sorry I don't think anything I'm saying is going to be much help or new to you, but I did want to reply to you. I really do wish you both well.
Deex

Just a guess here but with the average age of people getting ALS being 50ish I don't think there'd be much studying done on fertility. I do know of a few on here that have had babies after diagnosed but don't know if they were on Rilutek at the time.

AL.

I would suggest your own study if you are interested. I used to tell the wifey that we would never get pregnant without practice.:mrgreen:

Sorry, but I'm not exactly right, regardless of my situation.:)

My partner and I were told by the hospital consultant that he knows of a few cases where male PALS have fathered children while taking Rilutek, but very few (which can be due to combination of factors).

When I looked into it further I learnt that Rilutek for female PALS considering pregnancy should be considered only if the benefits exceed the risks (deformity, miscarriage etc.) The rest was related to mice.

I guess the average age of onset is the factor in lack of research, however my partner is 41 and I am 36. We very much wanted to start a family before his diagnosis and are still considering it. We shall seek further advice at the hospital appointment tomorrow.

Hope you get some answers.
Dx

Danijela, my apologies for the comments above. Looking back over it it was probably inappropriate. I try to handle a lot of things through humor to get me through, and probably got carried away.

I seriously hope you can find a good answer to your question. I know it is a tough decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back