ktmj

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
Dixie
City
Redneck
I hope this is the right place for this question. I am un diagnosed'ed for my neuromuscular stuff going on. I had been on a statin for several years for cholesterol management. I don't really want to raise the debate on whether thay cause ALS or symptoms.

My neuro stopped me for a few weeks to see if that was causing my symptoms and of course it was not. And it seems I have read before that some of you had stopped statin use

Of course my physician is now concerned that my cholesterol has gone back up. Any input?

Thanks.

This has been discussed before also.

My ALS Neuro mentioned a study that shows those PALS with high lipid levels and cholesterol levels progress slower than those with lower levels.

Enjoy your high cholesterol!

-Tom

Hi, ktmi ... there's no "debate" about statins any longer. I believe that reputible studies have shown statins do not cause ALS, but other reputible studies have shown that they do make ALS symptoms worse.

If you are ever diagnosed with ALS, your PCP will probably stop bugging you about cholesterol. At least mine has, and so has my cardiologist. We have all stopped worrying about the long-term effects of anything.

I'm one who quit statins after my neuro told me about the study on ALS symptoms. I still take niacin (which helps the "good" cholesterol). In the past (before the statins became so popular), I took something called "Questran." It is a powder you mix with liquid. It works differently than statins ... it doesn't affect the liver or other organs. It stays within the digestive system, and attaches to cholesterol in the intestines, and scoops it out. It is not as effective at lowering cholesterol as statins, but it works fairly well. (And it has some enjoyable side effects regarding libido :))

If you want to be on the safe side until you get a diagnosed, this might be a way to go. If you and your doctor are fairly certain you don't have ALS, you might not want to worry till you have a solid diagnosed of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back