Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
KY
City
Stanford
Does anyone know if it is normal for someone bedridden and only getting nutrition through a peg to go to the bathroom over 10 times a day? My mother is now only getting up with our help to be sat on the bedside potty. She has signaled 13 times today. She doesn't think she has a uninary tract infection. Has anyone else dealt with this type situation?

Urinary frequency is usually a sign of a urinary tract infection--even if your mom isn't having any burning or pain. Often times the elderly will have a urinary tract infection, not be aware of it, and wind up confused and then the doctor picks it up when investigating. Also, frequent urination can be a sign of diabetes. You need to take her to her family doctor and get it checked out. Good luck.
Laurel

I to have the same problem and i am not to elderly 48. I go at least 15 times a day. i feel like I have to go really bad but when I get to the bathroom it is little or nothing. I do not have a bladder infection. Per my neurologist he says a small percentage of people with als/pls experience this urgency to urinate.

I have been like this for the last two years. There are medications to control this. Does she actually go alot or just a little each time? They tell me this is due to bladder spasms. She could have a bladder infection. This is just my personal experience.

My mother had a CONSTANT urge to urinate, especially during the end of the disease. She was tested for a UTI and did not have one. She would wake my father every 10 minutes for a few HOURS during the night saying she had to go. I think it could be part of the disease process, in my humble opinion.

I would also agree, my dad had to go all the time at the end - or at least, he thought he did. He'd get panicky, all of a sudden feeling the urge to go really bad. They'd come in with the urinal and half the time it was a "false alarm" - he didn't have a UTI, either. Just another one of the many fun things about this disease.

My mum is the same, not as frequent as the other posts but usually every 2 hours during the night she goes, but not as much during the day? Maybe its just to wake me up!:) Lately she tries to get out of the bed herself and can get stuck as she hasnt got the strength to pull herself up and a few times now in a panic has wet herself. Is this part of the disease? She has never done this before and during the day she doesnt seem to go half as much as she used to?

The body as it ages, the circulation is better for the kidneys at night while laying flat; hence more urine production at night necessitating frequent toilettings. I don't think that it is done on purpose, at all! Talk to your doctor about it, ,and try to get help at nights for your PALS. I am sure that your PALS would rather sleep and not disturb the CALs sleep!
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back