Daddy's little girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

awhite

Hello
My father was just recently diagnosed with ALS - acutally in Oct. 2005. I guess I have been in denial until recently. I do not live in the same city as my father and only get to see him about once a month. It seems that every time i see him he is getting worse and worse. It just breaks my heart to see him like that. He was always such an active, energetic and outgoing person. Now he does not really want to go out and does not really want to see people. He is still able to walk - with the help of a cane. But i think he is having some trouble coming to terms with what is going on. This is the hardest thing i have ever had to go through watching my father slowly degress.
I try to keep him up beat and thinking about his granddaughter who was born in Aug. but some days it is all just too much for me to bare. Any help suggestions, comforting words?
I just feel so helpless and alone. My husband is so great and very supportive but he can't really understand what I am going through - heck i don't even knwo what i am going through!
:cry:

Hello,
This is a very difficult thing to deal with, but the best thing I can tell you to do is to spend as much time with your dad as you can. I know that by me being around my dad, and bringing his toddler grandson around, it lifts my dad's spirits tremendously. There are days where you are going to feel horrible about this situation, and then there will be days where you will feel somewhat at peace with it. It seems each time a new symptom occurs, it takes a toll on our whole family. The thing that has helped me get through it the most though is prayer and giving my worries to God. It is definitely a tough road though. I know this probably doesn't sound too comforting, but just know that you guys will get through it, and the best thing you can do is to be around your dad, and treat him as a normal person (just like you did before the diagnosis). Bring his grandchild around him...that will lift any grandparents spirits up. I know when it seems like we are going through a tough time, my son can do something silly, and it makes us all laugh. Sometimes that short amount of laughter is all we need.
Keeping you all in my prayers,
Dana

Hi,

I am sorry that you are going through this. I must say that if you have to be going through this you have been blessed to stumble across this page.
This disease is not easy for anyone and is so different for everyone. I agree with Dana that the best things you can do with your dad is spend time with him, bring his grandchild around him, and the one that I have the most probem with and must work on is treat him as you always have. I am begun to baby my dad and cal him about 10 times a day. I listen to his sotroes talk to him but then alsways ask him how are you feeling, walking, any trips, falls, and then I listen for every surred word if any appear and I look for things cause I am so scared... I have ot stop this and not sure how...

Bottom line is this be sure that dad takes his vitamins, meds and does some sort of exercise, most important pray to GOD and Thank GOD for the good days... This disease ike any other has Good and Bad Days..

IT is amazing when dad is feeling positive and happy he does great no words slur, waking is great, and he has a good day... When he is thinking negative and not happy he is waking bad, moody, speaks a itte slow and surs some words..... Mind over matter teach your dad this and yourself....

Feel free to e-mail me anytime [email protected]

Jen

Hi awhite,

Sorry about your dad. It is a very hard thing to come to terms with. It will take you all some time. Treat your dad as you always have and be as supportive as you can. My dad was always cheered up when his grandkids were around. Little ones have a way of breaking down walls that we put up around ourselves - even tough old guys like "Papas". If you all lean on each other it will be so much easier. You will find a wealth of information on this site. People here are always willing to listen and help in any way they can. Knowing that there are other people out there going through the same emotions and problems as you are is a blessing in disquise. You will find as much comfort and compassion here as you will anywhere. Don't be afraid to ask questions! Knowledge is so important when coping with this illness. Most of all --- talk about your feelings - let them out - you will feel better in doing so. Let your dad know you are there for him and that you love him. We are all praying for you and your family. You will be surprised at how strong you are and how strong you become as a family when going through something like this.

thinking of you,
bear2

Hi awhite
I completly agree with everything Dana and Jen had to say. If you are a person of faith, it will grow much stronger in this journey. Take heart in the fact that your Dad is here TODAY, and live for that. My mother who was diagnosed in Aug 05 is now living with my husband, myself our 1 & 3 yr old children. It can get very stressfull at times as I to try to baby my mother. There as some days when the stress gets to be to much and I break down, that is when I find comfort in this group. I have a wonderful husband and family for support, but it's nice to talk to people who really can empathize with you. I know having my children around, is getting my mom through this horrible disease. Children have a wonderful gift to look at the person for who they are and not the disease or there weaknesses. It makes everyone feel normal! Take care and know you are not alone in this battle, there are people who care.

We will make it through by helping each other!

Many thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for those of you who replied to my posting. Reading your words helped me out. This is truely a trying time in my life and it is testing my faith. Thank you for you words and your support it is nice to know there are many helpful caring people out there that are going through the same things.
Thanks Again!

Please email me..

I know exactly what you are going through and feel very much the same way you do. Please email me or add me to messenger if you would like to have someone to chat/vent/cry with - I know that I definately need to talk to someone who understands. [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back