Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
This was on my "news" home screen ... don't know who to cite ,,, I believe Hawking developed MND in his 20s?

"Cosmologist Stephen Hawking will retire from his prestigious post at Cambridge University next year, but intends to continue his exploration of time and space.

"Hawking, 66, is Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a title once held by the great 18th century physicist Isaac Newton. The university said Friday that he would step down at the end of the academic year in September, but would continue working as Emeritus Lucasian Professor of Mathematics.

"We look forward to him continuing his academic work at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, playing a leading role in research in cosmology and gravitation," said Professor Peter Haynes, who heads the department.

"Hawking became a scientific celebrity through his theories on black holes and the nature of time, work that he carried on despite becoming paralyzed by motor neurone disease.

"University policy is that officeholders must retire at the end of the academic year in which they become 67. Hawking will reach that milestone on Jan. 8."

BethU

Last edited:
BethU,

I noticed you changed you signature to include you diagnosed. Thank you! It really helps to know. This has inspired me to change my signature to include my un-diagnosed. I think this may be catchy!

Interesting news about Mr. Hawking, by the way.

Zaphoon

Thanks backatcha on the signature. I get confused easily, and can't remember who's got what :)

...so, I'm trying to get my signature to show up... oh the untold angst of being technically challenged and easily confused ...

So this is actually the signature thread. Okay, I'm in!

BTW: I'm not planning on working another 40 years with ALS. Sheesh! It's one thing to like what you do, but that's going waaaay too far. :smile:

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back