00/0000
Country
UK
State
CL
City
Stockton-On-Tees
Hi all

I know this question is going to sound so silly but its just something that is bugging me, i am still waiting to see a Neuro about my constant twitching in both calfs. Anyways i am guessing that he/she will order a EMG for me, my question is ...is this test just used to detect if there is twitching in my calf? as if it is then i really dont see the point as the Neuro will see them as i twith about 100+times a minute in both of them.

I thought people only used this EMG to rule out twitching etc, and i am terrified if i have it as there will be no way i wont twitch through it as i twitch all the time.

Sorry to sound so un edcuated on this but it does confuse me. I have searched on internet about EMG and it says its used to detect twicthing etc.

Thanks

Chris

Hi, Chris ... I can't give you the medical explanation, but only what I understand as a patient.

The EMG does not concern itself with visible twitches, but with the electrical activity and responses going on inside your muscles. For instance, I had no visible twitching on my body, except for under one eye, fasics on my tongue and a little on the web between my thumbs and index fingers, but on my second EMG the neuro detected what's called "denervation" ... chronic and acute ... in three areas of my body ... two of them had no symptoms that I was aware of.

Since that EMG in May, I have developed twitching and weakness in one of the areas he pinpointed. So, don't worry about the visible stuff. That's not what the EMG is looking for.

Good luck on the test! Here's hoping for good results!
BethU

Hello Chris,

Like BethU, I can't give you that technical of a response, but would point you to some of the threads on EMG's in the "Do I Have ALS? Is This ALS" portion of the forum. You may find them helpful, and there are some pretty experienced sharp minds that post regularly.

As pertains to twitching, my undertanding is an EMG is a diagnostic tool to try to tease out why the twitches may be occuring. As BethU mentioned, one of the things the neuro will be looking for is evidence of denervation. There are also other elements between the interaction of the nervous system and muscle that can be looked at as well. Hopefully, the results of the EMG will help the neuro home in on a cause for what's going on.

Hope this helps a little,

Robert

many thanks to all for ur help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back