Not open for further replies.

Sammantha

Country
Uni
State
NC
City
Newport
Hi, i have a question that is causing me a lot of worry..... I will be having my gallbladder taken out on the 19 but i am deathly afraid of the anesthesia. I have been having shortness of breathe at different times now for three months. Recently i was at a party where i consumed three glasses of puch with alcohol and was laughing a lot. Well my chest got heavy and my breathing labored. I was very dizzy and had to sit down and it took about an hour for me to catch my breathe and not feel like i had an elephant on my chest. I was not drunk, but advised not to drink like that because alcohol can relax the muscles too much? My gastro does not know about my neurology and muscle issues, i did not bring them up as i have not had a diagnosis. I have done fine with anesthesia in the past but that was before my breathing became affected. Does anesthesia affect the breathing muscles? Sam

Hi, i have a question that is causing me a lot of worry..... I will be having my gallbladder taken out on the 19 but i am deathly afraid of the anesthesia. My gastro does not know about my neurology and muscle issues, i did not bring them up as i have not had a diagnosis. I have done fine with anesthesia in the past but that was before my breathing became affected. Does anesthesia affect the breathing muscles? Sam

Sam ... you MUST inform the anestheologist and your gastro of your breathing problems. It doesn't matter whether you have an "official diagnosis" of a specific disease or not, your surgeon and his team MUST be told of any significant symptoms you are experiencing ... especially breathing, but also your neurological and muscle issues.

I'd get the word to your surgeon right away, so that he/she can thoroughly evaluate the situation.

BethU

I agree - this is REALLY important!
Tell your surgical team right away.
Dx or no diagnosed, you have breathing problems and surgery can be extremely risky for you.

Lynn

Sam

I had the same worry. I have been short of breath since last fall. WHen I was in the hosp and had to have a colonoscopy, I told them about my breathing and my fear. Well, they said they are right there and it would be fine and it was. Well, at my muscle biopsy I did not mention it to them, and when I woke up during the procedure, they told me that I had stopped breathing, so they had to bring me out of it alittle. I was still woozy and coming in and out. MY point is, is something happens they will address it and you should be fine. THe Anesthieseolgist (SP) is there the whole time monitering you. *You need to tell them about your weak muscles so that they are prepared. IT does not matter that you have no diagnosed, you have some issues and they should know, so that they can prepare properly.

Good luck!

april

Sam,

I agree with everyone else, please let them know what is going on.
Good luck with your gallbladder operation.

Hang in there,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back