Need Advise Feeling Really Down and Scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
Hello,

Well first off to those of you that know me... My baby boy has arrived. Born August 16th 8:29pm 7 pounds 1 once, and 20.2 inches.... We all love him and all are doing well...

My hormones are a mess and along with postpartum I am crying all the time with worry about my dad.... I have these feelings like he has been basically the same for three years does this mean things are going to start to get worse.... Dad has good and bad days and for the last few days while things have been new for all of us I notice that his speech is real slow, his walk is really slow and very clumsy like just no balence at all. I am getting nervous like he is going to fall or something. Can anyone tell me what to watch for to understand if he is ok on the steps. I don't want him to fall and I can't tell if it is me over reacting and looking for things because I am feeling so scared and sensitive or if the changes that I am seeing in slowness, off balence, and slow speech are there . Does this make sense?

Also the other thing can anyone else tell me that has babies in the family how they are with holding them are you comfortable is there a certain position that is better then another?

Thank you in advance for your response....

I am really scared and now that I have a little one I need to make sure that I take care of my baby, my husband, and my dad..... Any advise would help....

Jen

Hi Jen
When I used to fall which only happened a few times before using a walker I didn't get any warning. Fell couple times with the walker, legs just buckled mid step. I'd take a step and it would feel like my leg wasn't there and down I went. I never fell on the stairs because I lost the strength to go up them before the falls happened. I never had balance issues. You've heard it before. We're all different. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Take care.

AL.

Last edited:
Hi Jen

Congratulations on your new arrival!

I think Al misunderstood your concerns about your "Dad" holding your newborn. Am I correct, that you were concerned about "his" holding the baby?

All I can say is that in "my" husbands ALS progression, his arms were the first to be affected. His legs are not involved to date. He has not been able to hold, hug or even hold hands with our grandbabies for well over a year. What I do, I put them in between his legs and ever so gently wrap his (tender and sometimes stiff) arms around them so they can feel his touch. He usually cries when I do this. He tells me he wishes for just "one" day to hold them up over his head or to throw our grandson a ball.

Your Dad will enjoy just watching you hold the new baby and that will give him such a loving feeling. Babies bring the love and joy right in the house. They are angels!
SMILE ALOT AT THE NEW BABY. They sense your sadness Jen so please be joy filled for this precious new baby. :)

Take care of yourself Jen. Get your rest too. By all means, get as much help and support that you possibly can with your Dad.

God bless you and I will be praying you for all!

Patty

As you may notice Patty I edited my response. Guess I totally misread that. Anyway, about 1 1/2 years after my diagnosed I asked my Dr. if there was anything I shouldn't do. He matter of factly said, don't hold babies. I only held them while sitting in a chair. If you look at my profile picture you'll see me in my W/C holding my 15 month old granddaughter. She seems to sense that she can't move when grampa is giving her a ride. I also know when to say I'm getting tired. She also gets put next to me sometimes if I'm lying down.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back