Diagnosis
01/2005
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Clinton
My father is in the process of being diagnosed with PLS/ALS. Currently all signs are pointing to PLS (hopefully) and I was wondering if anyone has any statistics on how often PLS progresses into ALS?
Thanks
Mike

hi

from many studies i have looked at it is around half of those with just umn symptoms that go onto develop lmn involvement.
your dads neuro needs to follow his progression for 3-5yrs for a definate diagnosed of either pls/als.
how long has your dad been ill for and seeing a neuro?
i hope he is not too unwell.
take good care
caroline:-D

I have both umn and lmn and am still diagnosed with PLS. My doctor said it would'nt ever turn into als.

I believe Olly has it right. The neruo should be seeing your father over a 3-5 year period to determine if the PLS develops lower motor neurons and turns to full blown ALS. Odds are, if after 5 years there is no lmn involvement, its likely not to happen (according to studies). If 5 years haven't passed since his diagonosis, I'd be seeing a different neuro.

Hi, i'm new to this site. my mom is showing upn symptoms right now. can you tell me what your umn and lmn symptoms are? thanks.

ceegee

In Wikipedia, search for:

"Upper motor neurone lesion"
and
"Lower motor neurone lesion"

-Tom

Lower motor neuron symptoms
Weakness and muscle wasting are common when lower motor neuron involvement predominates. The patient or physician usually notices fasciculation, or muscle twitching. Fasciculation is a sign of muscle irritability, as the normal action of the lower motor neuron on the muscle is impaired. The sole involvement of lower motor neurons can be seen in a form of ALS called progressive muscular atrophy. Fasciculation is described as "benign" if there is no muscle weakness, atrophy, or impairment of motor function. Fasciculation is described as "pathologic" when it occurs in ALS with other symptoms.

Upper motor neuron symptoms
Spasticity, or stiffness, in the lower limbs, face, or jaw indicates upper motor neuron involvement. Spasticity in the legs often produces severe walking difficulties. The patient may complain of heaviness, fatigue, stiffness, or lack of coordination of any affected limb. Reflexes are very brisk, or exaggerated. Outbursts of laughter or crying with minimal provocation can occur. This is called emotional lability and is referred to as a pseudo-bulbar affect. Both brisk reflexes and emotional lability involve the inability to inhibit reflexes.

umn
symptoms
weakness,inco-ordination,stiffness,slowing of distal movement
signs
spasticity,brisk reflexes,babinski and hoffman signs,weakness and pseudobulbar palsy.

lmn
symptoms
fatigue,weakness,cramps,muscle twitching,inco-ordination.
signs
weakness,atrophy,fasiculations,suppression of reflexes,hypotonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back