PALS
Country
CA
State
ontario
City
ottawa
WHAT IS IT?

NAC is N-Acetyl-Cysteine, the acetylated version of the sulfur amino acid, l-Cysteine. Most capsules contain 600 mg of N-Acetyl-Cysteine. Other ingredients are rice flour, gelatin and water.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

NAC is a very potent antioxidant, chelating agent, and the precursor of one of the body's primary protective agents, Glutathione.
L-Cysteine is converted into toxic l-Cystine without Vitamin C. Vitamin C should always be taken with NAC.
L-Cysteine is also an excitotoxin in the brain which can seriously damage brain cells.
L-Cysteine excitotoxicity is completely blocked by Zinc which should also always be taken with it.

DOSE

Take from 200 mg to 600 mg daily.

Ron

Thank you Ron!
You are doing a great job on information research. In reading your post, I realized why the opinion on NAC is split - some react well, some do not. My father attempted several times to take it, but stopped not being sure if it made him feel peculiar/worse. He was taking zinc (minimal amts) but not C especially, since he eats/drinks fruits/veg/juices. It is a potent supplement, but has to be properly taken, otherwise results are negative. We are not going back on it, because it just seems too strong when combined with the rest of the "stuff" dad is taking. The supplement was used with some success in HIV - related neuropaty cases, where it was reported to have helped promote nerve regeneration, hence it's use spilling over into the ALS area, hoping to do the same.

I'm Takng NAC, but also have an IV drip of vitamin C once a week. I'm on so many things I don't know what's working and what's not.

Can you list what you are on. I tried NAC but found I was not tolerating it very well. I now take on a regularr basis.

Rilutk - Neuro's prescription
Gabapentin - Neuro's prescription
Citalopram - Doctors prescription
Purple K Creatine - Kre-Alkalyn
Coenzyme Q10
L-Threonine
Acetyl L- Carnitine &Acetyl L- Carnitine Arginate (single capsule)
R-Alpha Lipoic Acid
Methylcobalamin B12

The stuff in red are my own potions
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back