Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago area
I received this from the Les Turner ALS Foundation today. I not only contacted Dick Durbin, my Senator that voted for this to thank him, but also contacted Barrack Obama who did not vote. I sent him a picture of my family & invited him to spend a few hours with my family. I told him that if he saw the devastation that ALS creates that he would find it impossible to ignore this much needed legislation. I also told him that I voted for him in the Democratic Primary & that I was very dissapointed that he did not vote on this!

Update on the ALS Registry Act
By a tally of 52-40, the Senate voted yesterday against proceeding to debate on S. 3297, the Advancing America's Priorities Act, which included the ALS Registry Act. Unfortunately, this is eight votes short of the 60 required for the Senate to begin consideration of S. 3297. Our colleagues at the ALS Association (ALSA) have been doing tremendous work to pass the Act and we applaud them in their efforts and understand the importance of supporting this effort - we hope that you will join in the campaign!

The Senate still may return to the issue at a later date, so the fight is NOT over. ALSA is working with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and supporters in the Senate to find other opportunities to pass the Act as soon as possible.

Next Steps
There is still an opportunity to pass S. 3297 and the ALS Registry Act this year, and we need you to help continue the fight. Here are two important things you can do:

1) Please thank your Senators who voted in support of us to advance S. 3297. It is important that our supporters know we appreciate their continued efforts to find a treatment and cure.

2) Hold those Senators who voted against the S. 3297 accountable for their votes. Let them know that it is not acceptable to play politics with the lives of people with ALS.

Sample letters you can send to your Senators are available in the Advocacy Action Center of ALSA's website. When you enter your zip code on the site, the system will automatically generate the appropriate letter either thanking them for their support or holding them accountable for their opposition. Please send these letters to your Senators today and help us send a strong message to the Senate. Click here to go to the Advocacy Action Center to send your letters. Thank you for your ongoing support!

Get Involved! Much remains to be achieved and more help is needed to find the answers to the mysteries of ALS. Become a partner in our fight by visiting www.lesturnerals.org or contacting us at 847.679.3311 or [email protected].

Forward email

Linda,
Good work! I also sent thank you's to both my Senators, Sen. John Warner (R-VA) and Sen. James Webb (D-VA), for voting 'yes' for S.3297, the Advancing America's Priorities Act (Coburn Omnibus Package).
I was astonished and so disappointed in Sen. Obama's failure to vote. I too will send him a letter expressing my disappointment and share a few facts about daily life with ALS, and I will add that I voted for him in the Democratic Primary and I expect better from him.
Thanks for your post.
All the best to you,
Jane

My senator McCain didn't vote either, and my other Senator Kyl, voted against it.

As Republican Whip, Senator Kyl is key. He can exert a lot of influence on the Republicans to agree to vote (or not) on the Advancing America's Priorities Act. Chances of getting a vote are fading fast unless some leadership will step forward and stop partisan bickering.

Playing politics

Both sides are playing politics here. The Republicans are holding up everything until the Dems agree to and up or down vote on drilling for oil.

The Democrats, who have the majority, are refusing. This is a do-nothing Congress and I think the American people are sick of it.

As someone who cares deeply about both issues, I think we should tell the Democrats to quit blocking the oil drilling and allow a vote.

Once that happens, I believe the Registry and other important legislation would pass as well.

Just my personal opinion.

My understanding is that there are 49 Ds, 49 Rs, and 2 Is in the Senate.

Reid needed 60 yeas to agree to then vote on the Advancing America's Priorities Act. He got 52 (including only 3 Rs...). I doubt that he'll be too wild about bringing it up again unless he knows he has a solid 60.

When it takes 60 to get things done, we need for our elected officials to rise above party lines or else gridlock prevails.

We all need to let both of our Senators know that they need to get this deal done for an ALS Registry quickly.

My 2 cents fwtw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back