Not open for further replies.

kelly

Country
US
State
ny
City
saratoga springs
After 8 weeks of waiting for insurance to approve our electic wheelchair...they denied the lift portion of the chair. The person politely told us that we can pay 2,000 out of pocket if we feel we need the lift. They approved the incline...but no lift. Does anyone have the lift component? Do you find it helpful? Want to make the right decision. Thanks, KR

Kelly-

I'm a bit confused about what feature you're talking about. Do you mean lift, as in: it raises the entire chair up, say, to get something out of a cupboard? And I assume the incline is the reclining aspect to the chair? Or do you mean the component that would allow someone to get into a standing position?

Those bonehead questions aside, my mom couldn't live without both the recline and the tilt. The tilt feature made it possible for us not to transfer her in and out of bed. It relieved the pressure from her bum. So combine the power leg, recline and tilt, she was able to get moderately comfortable, even when she had lost the weight.

I'm not sure if all chapters are the same, but here in Minnesota, if you're registered with the MDA, they pay $2000 toward a chair deductible. It made our expensive chair essentially free of charge.

Kaija

I didn't get the lift feature and 1 year later can't think when it would have been needed.
AL.

Victory on Power Chairs and Medicare Coverage

This victory means that people with ALS and our Chapters no longer need to worry that competitive bidding will limit the types of chairs available to PALS or reduce access to needed services and suppliers. The Bill is Now Law!

Congress voted to override the President's veto of Medicare legislation that would exclude high-end power wheelchairs from Medicare's competitive bidding program.

Key Provisions of the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act (HR 6331) include:
Ensures Access to Power Wheelchairs
Improves Medicare Presccription Drug Coverage
Provides Additional Coverage for Physical Therapy, Ocupational Therapy and Speech
Language Pathology Services
Improves Access to the Medicare Savings Program (MSP).

For more additional information about this important victory, please contact the ALS Advocacy Department at [email protected] or 1-877-444-ALSA.

MDA will donate $2,000. towards equipment, (wheelchairs), which does help some with purchasing necessary equipment.

Hugs and Prayers,
Caroliney

I'm not in a chair yet so I can only pass on what I've heard.

Many people with the lift function find it helps make transfers easier. The ones that I've spoken with used the $2k Caroliney speaks of from the MDA to pay for the lift while letting Medicare cover the rest.

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, the lift would raise you up and down. It does not bring you to a standing position. I thought it would be helpul when transferring my husband. It is so difficult to lift him out of low chairs. Unfortunately, we already used the 2,000 from the MDA for the dynavox. We will use out of pocket if needed. Man, being disabled is incredibly tapping on the wallet. Thanks again for the quick responses. KR

Seat Lift on Power Chair

Kelly:

I,too have trouble getting up from low chairs. When I was fitted for a power chair, they wanted me to have a seat lift and a swivel seat. The insurancd denied them, saying they wer convience items and as such were not covered.

I was talking with the Assisted Technology Therapist at the ALS clinic yesterday about the same problems and we both agreed that the people who authorize these things, b e it Medicare or Insurance companies, have absolutely no idea what the needs are of a disabled person. He said that needing that type of help is functional not medical and they only pay for medical needs.

I have learned how to raise myself ouit of the chair but it be a lot easier if I were higher.
Gordon

Kelly, I don't know if you are aware of this, but the MDA pays 2000.00 towards the speech computer AND 2000.00 towards a wheelchair. They are both a one time benefit. So, for your back's sake, you may want to talk to your MDA rep about the grant for the lift.
Andrea - wife of Pals Jim

I didn't know that one. Thanks for the info Andrea.

Excellent information. I thought the 2,000 was a one time grant. I will definitely contact them tomorrow. Thanks for the great news. Kelly

$2000 from MDA

Kelly,

That is correct. The $2000 that MDA will pay for wheelchairs/leg braces is different than the $2000 for a communications device.

You should be able to get that from your local office.

Good luck!

Also, the wheelchair grant is available every 5 years for adults, 3 years for people under 18.

The communications device is a one-time grant.

Kevin, that is great news, thanks for sharing that information!
Andrea - wife of Pals Jim

Thanks.....we were able to utilize the 2,000 for the lift feature. Will let you all know how it works when the chair arrives. Would not have known about the 2,000 if it was not for all you wonderful people. Fondly, KR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back