Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
el paso
starting to have problems holding my spoon. is there anything i can use for my hand. im having such a hard time eatting using a spoon. i can handle finger food. i dont want a peg.

Try looking at the Sammons Preston web site. I hope I spelled that correctly. They have lots of products for daily living. Also you might check the ALSA web site. I know there are braces that hold the wrist and hand so you can hold a spoon.

Sharonca

If it is just holding the spoon, your local clinic or MDA should have pieces that slide over the utensils to make the handle larger in diameter. If they don't go to a local hardware store and find some foam pipe insulation that will fit, same thing.

I used a strap affair with velcro that you could slide a fork or spoon into a little pocket in it that you put on your hand. Sammons would probably have it but I got mine at Shoppers Home Health Care.
AL.

http://www.sammonspreston.com/

Last edited:
Fell And I Cant Get Up

What advice do you have when you fall down What is the best way to get picked up.
I fell the other day and my husband had the worse time getting me up I am 135 pounds and he is 245 So what was the problem HELP!

Thanks Pat1

Hi Pat. I should know but forget how much mobility you have. Back when I was still walking and if I ended up on the floor I would get someone to get me a kitchen chair that I could grab the seat and then the back part while someone helped me to my knees. I'd get one leg up and have them either grab my belt or under arms depending on how tall the helper was. I would either just sit in the chair or get upright depending on how pooped I was from the ordeal. Don't know if this will work for you. Or send your husband down to the Paramedic station and ask them to show him how best to pick you up. They have some pretty good ways of picking up patients. Some require 2 people but some I think can be improvised to use just 1.

AL

hi cukita-

This is right up my alley, as helping people get through daily life skills is my occupation- and my passion! All of the other suggestions are right on!

Do you have limited finger, wrist, elbow function? What is your strongest area?

The velcro strap thing is called a universal cuff. It has a pocket to slide "tools" into- Like a spoon. This way you will only have to move your wrist a tiny bit and bend your elbow.

You can definately build things up with foam pieces if you just need something larger to hold on to. You can add very creative things to make up for lost grip as well-Tape first and then add some large and small beads and tape over the tops of them so everything is smooth and doesn't hurt your skin.
You can build up your other items in this same way- toothbrush,hairbrush handles,etc.

If bending your wrist is the problem- try having someone BEND a spoon for you and give that a try. Just hold onto the handle near the scoop part and bend in to a 90 degree angle. Your spoon should now look like a boomerang. Add some girth to the handle with tape- or foam- and you should require much less hand function to operate your spoon nicely. The kitchen workers at my facility love me for this, but its usually VERY helpful :eek:)

You also might try getting a plate with built up sides or a scoop plate. This way, you push the food up to the edge and the food loads onto the spoon if you are having any trouble with"loading" the spoon with food.

Hope it is helpful and best of luck to you.
~Cindy

Hi Pat. I should know but forget how much mobility you have. Back when I was still walking and if I ended up on the floor I would get someone to get me a kitchen chair that I could grab the seat and then the back part while someone helped me to my knees. I'd get one leg up and have them either grab my belt or under arms depending on how tall the helper was. I would either just sit in the chair or get upright depending on how pooped I was from the ordeal. Don't know if this will work for you. Or send your husband down to the Paramedic station and ask them to show him how best to pick you up. They have some pretty good ways of picking up patients. Some require 2 people but some I think can be improvised to use just 1.

AL

Hi Al
I walk but cant climb stairs ,whenI fall I have no upper arm use so I fall like a sake of potatoes so I cant help once I fall . he get me on my knees I walk o my knees to the sofa and then he throws me face down on the sofa .Thats a visual LOL!

Well I hope he doesn't take advantage of the situation with you in that position. LOL.
AL.

I wish he would LOL

sorry to cut in

That was the first time a laughed out loud on this web site!:mrgreen:

Thank you, AL

Help Aids

I purchased a set of silverware from the Dr. Leonard's catalog. They, as well as most health supply businesses carry a variety of that type equipment. Mine are just like regular silverware except it has a much larger handle made of some kind of rubber making it easier to hold. They also have the ones that are already bent.

As for being picked up after a fall, we now have a Hoyer lift. I weigh 200 lbs. and my wife weighs 135 lbs. so she can't left me by herself. Using the Hoyer, she picks me up and sits me down in my power chair slick as a button. I haven't had a fall in almost a year now (knock on wood), but we are ready if I do. My insurance paid for our lift, with no out of pocket for us.
Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back