Diagnosis
01/2004
Country
US
State
WA
City
Granite Falls
My Dad is in the final stages of ALS. He is on a ventilator, has a feeding tube and can longer move any part of his body other than a couple fingers. He requires 24 hour care and the money is running out. Does anyone have any advice on where I can get financial help?:confused:

Dear Deanna

How I wish I could help you but there are so many wonderful people at this site that will be able to give you an organization, etc. through ALS that I am sure have had families in the same situation.

I will be praying for you and your Dad and family.

God give you strength and grace for each day.

Patty

hello,
my husband was diagnosed in Sept. 06- ALS. One of the people at the Human Resources dept of his employer told us he was eligilbe for an Accelerated Death Benefit for his life insurance. Since ALS of course is terminal, we applied and it was approved in a month- we were able to take half- which allowed us to pay off some things and make that burden a little lighter. It varies per state but is worth checking out.
Jenny

deanna,

I'm teribly sorry your family is having financial difficulties. I frequent another ALS site and there is a gentleman that has a huge heart that has started a foundation to help PALS and their families. the following is a post by him that I hope you will find helpful:

Kathleen,

This all began when my daughter learned about a 14 year old girl at school whose dad has ALS. It was a few weeks before Christmas. They were in danger of losing their house and had difficulty affording most of the necessities that ALS patients need. To add to their misery, her mom lost her job. This all happened right before Christmas. The young girl is absolutely dedicated to her dad, and does things for him that no 14 year old should have to do. Since her mom cannot lift dad alone, she has to stay at home and has no other life outside of school and her dad.

Upon hearing of their situation, I helped them out financially. They now consider me part of the family. We go to eachother's house for dinner etc. I'm a phone call away whenever they need me to help out with the dad or children. Word spread and other ALS families began to contact me. Believe it or not, this family is among the more "fortunate" ones. There are PALS, living alone with no family or friends. Single PALS are losing their children because they can no longer care for them. I've seen CALS on the verge of nervous breakdowns. It all haunts me. I'm in a position to help... and that's what I am doing.

My website will be up soon, and it will link to other ALS sites. I hear of people in desparate situations from this website and others. I'll typically send them an email, and take it from there.

I want to be clear.. this is what I want to do. PALS need help... and providing help is very rewarding to me. I do not want anyone thinking that this is a sacrifice. I can't begin to tell you what this does for my soul. I've also made some very close friendships in the ALS community.

I hope to raise funds beyond my own contributions. My hope is to create something that will outlive me. Something that can exist on its own in perpetuity. Better yet, I hope ALS can be effectively treated and people like myself will not be necessary.

So, thats the story. If you need help, let's talk. Email me or call me at the numbers below.

Cell: 949-233-3045
Home/Office: 949-488-9894

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all!

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my questions. I will follow up and let you all know how it went.

Deanna

Hi Deanna-I have another thought. If the money is going for nursing care your state may have in-home hospice that will come and help for free. They might not provide all the coverage you need but every hour they give is one less out of pocket.

Hi Deanna,

Below is a link to find hospice in your area. I looked up Washington and there are several. We have a hospice center, so that may be another option. It is also a nursing home and excellent care. Cindy suggested in home and that may work too, but centers have all of the equipment and staff etc. There is also respite care, where your Dad could go for short periods of time. It is worth checking out. I know my insurance covers two 90 periods in hospice and medicare covers nursing homes and I would guess that would include a hospice setting. Best Wishes and let us know. Here is the national website and then just click on the "locator" tab on the left. http://www.hospicefoundation.org/ Sincerely, Peg

Deanna,

Let me know if I can help.

Stu Millheiser, THE ALS GUARDIAN ANGELS FOUNDATION

office/home: (949)488-9894
cell: (949) 233-3045

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back