Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
My husband was set up with BiPAP last week with nasal pillows. Everything was fine when the RT left.

I moved the unit with humidifier to the bedroom and now my husband says he can't use it and is very frustrated. The air was coming out of his nose.

These are my notes:

Spontaneous Timed EPAD 4
IPAP 10
BPM 6
% IPAP 30% (adjust down for longer breath out)

I've checked the settings and they are the same as when RT was here.

Would the "rate of air" in and out be different when sitting than when reclined? He was sitting on sofa when he was fitted.

I will contact the RT on Monday, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

bipap

Hi CJ

Your husbands settings look about the same as my husbands.

It took a good week before he got use to the bipap. He started on nasal pillows to the mask that made a small cut on bridge of nose and then back to nasal pillows. I think my husband had an adjustment just getting use to it. I even brought him to Primary Care physician for anxiety meds for bedtime. I broke them in halves and it only took 3 nights after that he was sleeping just fine.

I called the RT with any questions. He came once a week and now once a month.

Good luck!
Patty

Thanks Patty!

My husband takes Ambien at night, so maybe I'll have to wait til he's real sleepy before I start the BiPAP.

I think part of it is he just doesn't want to take the next step to another peice of equipment. Sigh...

Hi CJ,
Those settings don't sound right to me. Yes, it is much more difficult to breathe when reclined. Also, a passive humidifier reduces the pressure by about 1.5 cm H2O. A normal (comfortable) breathing rate is closer to 12 BPM. If you are having trouble with leakage around the nostrils, KY Jelly makes a good gaskit, and you might need to tighten the straps a little.

Mike

My BPM's are at 18. Ipap is 18 Epap is 8.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back