Diagnosis
07/2005
Country
US
State
GA
City
Lawrenceville
need some help please. I am at the stage where speech is going--tired at end of day. I am gagging more, (still able to cough). I am confined to wheelchair. I need assistance with bathroom and turning over at night.
My questions are--What do others do about going out? My daughter can't drive our van so can't run errands or shop with her. I'm terrified I will start gagging/coughing in public. I hate the way people look at me. I am very shy and therefore don't go out. Missing out on teens events. How do others handle this?
Also, what about vacations without me? Who do you get to stay with you? To care for you overnight? My parents come to visit but are too old to help transfer me.
Thanks for any ideas

Dignity

I am not my body. I am my presence or spirit. I am paralyzed from the neck down, need help with the most basic bodily functions, and can't speak. In spite of this, I have not lost one ounce of my dignity. No one can take that away from you. You have to surrender it. I have pride in who I have become, and exist with an ere of confidence.:-D

Mike

hi greenjeans, i know what u mean. im also confind to a wheelchair. my erans are done by neighbors n friends. i dont go out much. i did manage to get enough courage to attend my sons graduation. i hire a lady m-f n my 80 yr old parents take care of me on weekends with my sons help. u just have to find ways n ask for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back