Diagnosis
06/2007
Country
US
State
MD
City
Waldorf
First thank you for this site, Ive been reading for quite some time.

A little background. My father was diagnosed with ALS about a year ago. One question or comment: He does not deny he has ALS but he says he has a “mild case” of ALS when telling other people. This makes it difficult for us as his supporters to get things done. They are in the process of selling a home, we are in the process of building an addition onto our house, we cannot get anything moved because he wants to move everything down with him (including those things he can no longer use but is having a hard time admitting he can no longer use.) Well as I type this I don’t even know what question to ask. I guess I just wanted to vent to people who can understand. Thanks for “listening”

Hi Durst. Sorry to hear about your dad but I am glad you decided to join us! there are lots of caregivers on this site who have walked in your shoes. We will try to help in any way we can! Cindy

Hi the Dursts. It really is hard to let go. Things that seem unimportant one day take on new signifigance when you realise that you can no longer use it because of the limitations of the disease. Give him time. He'll catch on.
AL.

It's sad but I know exactly how your dad feels. I have a 17 foot off shore boat sitting in my drive way right now that I cannot even get in to go fishing. I know I need to sale it, but we always hope things will get better and we can go back to fishing.
My garage is full of wood working tools radial arm saws, etc. I can not use any of them.

Just have to let go sometimes.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone for your replies. My dad is exactly the same way, he too has a garage full of wood working tools that he wants to bring down. We just do not have room for them all. He also has a mustang, an F-150 and fully dressed Harley. I understand why he wants to bring them and it is very hard trying to tell your dad that he cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back