07/2001
Country
US
State
West Virginia
City
Culloden
Hello all,

I was just curious what everyone did or does for a living that are diagnosed with ALS.

I know they don't know what causes ALS, but my husband was a Class A Machinist and 2 years after he was diagnosed another guy that worked 25-feet from him in the same shop got diagnosed with ALS as well. Talk about the men in the shop getting a little nervous about what they were being exposed to. Unfortunately, my husbands friend and co-worker only lived about 3 years. Whereas, my husband is still fighting it to date, 8 years later. We have always been blown away that two men out of the same machine shop got ALS. I know that the military is diagnosing the military personnel with ALS as well.

It's funny how after all these years I'm still looking, hoping, searching for some kind of reason.......that maybe just maybe I'll find an answer.

Anyway if you would like to share with me what your occupation was I would appreciate it.

Donna-WV

my father was a computer systems analyst for the federal gov't.

many jobs

Rick has ALS... DX at age 60. He has three degrees, had 21 years totaled active and reserve in the Navy, has been a counselor at a juvenile prison, has been a caregiver at a home for the mentally handicapped, has been a comptroller for municipal housing and has substitute taught in the public school system. His mom had "something." His ALS is considered familial, however in two tours in Vietnam and all those innoculations he had then, anything could be possible. Sorry to hear about you and your coworkers. Sounds fishy to us too.

I was a cryogenic operator in a plant, was working on my 20th year when diagnosed with ALS.

My DH was carpenter/construction for the past 17 years or so. He did alot of rehab jobs on older buildings in downtown Chicago. Long before his DX I used to worry about all the things he was exposed to, like asbestos and such.

My husband worked as Industrial Engineer for 30 years and retired and became a Health Inspector. Still working.

Hi ! My husband worked in a steel factory for 38 yrs....his job was entitled ...computerized plasma burning machine operater , in other words he cut steel and other metals underwater on a huge machine.He used to tell me about all the fumes that came off this machine !He was also raised on a farm and very athletic....very muscular and had a body that everyone admired for his age...57 when he was diagnosed.Another rather disturbing thing is that we live in a semi for 29 yrs. the woman on the other side of our semi died exactly the same day as my husband and the man across the street died of brain cancer as well...i dont get it thier has to be a connection somewhere.I also developed a movement disorder called dystonia about 20 yrs ago although now it seems to have improved ....We had to sell our house and move to a wheelchair acessable unit...........Gina

My mom was a very talented musician, which is more athletic than it might sound. She had quite bulky muscles from playing various instruments, and I wonder if this is why we didn't notice her muscle atrophy right away. Now her leg muscles are pretty much gone, but she still has some upper body bulk, just without the strength. I miss her voice--I rarely hear it now that she is vent-dependent.

job

My husband worked as a marketing person for a plastics company....mostly office work...but also plant visits. He also has traveled the world. Was very physically fit....before this disease. He would lift, cycle, or run daily.

I was manager at a backup power supply company. But ALS came probably from my mother who died of it 30 some years ago.

Very interesting topic. Thanks for starting this thread.

My husband started out as a heating and a/c mechanic and removed asbestos from old buildings in Old Town Alexandria for a few years. He did that job for about 12 years. Now he is a federal police officer and works in very old buildings with a lot of metal detectors and special alarms.. not sure what type, but they put off some kind of "radio waves". Several officers have also been diagnosed with pituitary/brain tumors, as well.

I worked at a skating ring for 3 years, then slun pizzas in the family pizza buisness for 12 years, then....to a CPA firm 2 years, since then, now 9 years as CFO of my company. I wonder if me traveling and staying in 3rd world countries had anything t o do with my issues.

rgds,

Jamie

Hi Donna! Thanks for asking such an interesting question. My son worked for a company in Houston that dealt with fiberglass, and other stuff. After he left that place he joined his brother selling and installing home sound equipment. That's about it, other than the little hamburger joints when he was younger, and still in school.

Irma

My mother

My mother was Mrs. Boise Idaho beauty queen when she was 20. She married my dad who was in the airforce and traveled awhile. She had 5 children and got her master's degree in social work and was director of social services for about 10 years. She then retired and 2 years after my dad died in 2004 she was diagnosed with ALS. She died a month ago today. I'd give anything to have her back and healthy. I miss her.:cry:

Living

Hi,
I was an aircraft electrician for 36 years. Eight in the Air Force, 23 at a Naval Rework Depot, and 5 for Raytheon. I was at Eglin Air Force Base for 5 years during the Nam era, an Eglin is a armament development and testing base. ( agent orange was tested there ) I worked on aircraft returning from Dessert Storm, cleaning all the sand out of the wiring and equipment.
Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back